Seals for vent assy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Installing the 1 piece vent seals in my 84 and the new seals don't have the little metal tabs that bend down to hold the 1 side in. This is the first ones I've ever done, so I don't know if thats normal or not. Do you just glue them or is there something else I should buy?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Was it a one piece seal before? Just making sure because you could have a two-piece up through 1984.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ones that were on it was 1 piece and they had the tangs you slipped through the holes to bend domn.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm... I've never heard of the one piece having tangs. If I remember correctly, I think there's like one plastic tab on the hypotenuse side of the vent seal, but it's otherwise smooth and uses a lip that presses into a groove in the vent window frame. The two piece definitely does on the window run piece (opposite side). The tangs bend down to hold it in place. The bitch of it is that you could get either style in 1984 so I don't know what the right answer is. Maybe someone else does, but my opinion is that you should look at the two piece seal and some close ups of the two piece style vent frame. See what you think. Here's a new two piece seal and a great write up @foamypirate did, respectively. As you can see, I put a little call for help in here, too.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=282293660409

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5224

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm going to check and see if I have that rivet to take the channel apart. Everything on his looks just like mine, I was going by my seal all pulled out in 1 piece, but mine had the metal tangs just like his. Also, when I removed the glass and frame, I ground off the 2 rivets that hold the hinge on to the frame. Where can you buy these rivets? A pop rivet wouldn't work I don't think because it'd protrude into the channel and affect the seal.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Also, thank you for the links and the help, greatly appreciated.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
LMC has the 2 piece seal kit for $50, they also have a repair kit, #12, that looks like it has the rivets in it, and what I hope is that rubber seal, #13 , that goes in the glass for the handle or latch to pass through.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree with you on the seals and repair kit. I disagree on No. 13 on where you're looking in the LMC catalog. That says for 73-79 applications. The little ring next to that thing looks like the seal to me. You may have to reuse what you have or improvise. Make sure you find the cheapest parts because I've found better deals just about everywhere, and it's all basically the same stuff. At least with these parts.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'll recheck and see. Those pics they have are kind of hard to figure out. They have a decent price on the seals, I've only found a few dollar difference. Plus that's the only time I've seen the rivets. Also I checked my vent assy and I got that rivet in the top they show in the thread you posted. Thanks again.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'd avoid LMC for the seals. Many people have reported that they get hard and brittle quite quickly. I put seals from Classic Parts on my 84' (the DIY up above) almost 5 years ago, and they are still in good shape.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for the heads up.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Let me let put in a plug for classicparts.com.

First of all, they should not be confused with Classic Industries - huge difference.

The main reason I like them and do most of my business with them is that, they often supply you with NOS parts - at normal prices. And they don't even mention that you might get NOS stuff. If you call them they will tell you the truth. And the text will generally indicate whether the part is Repro or OE. And their photos are accurate and up to date.

Take these vent handles for example; $14.95 even for the locking style

Original handle for closing & locking wing window. Chrome plated. Includes handle, post, washers, gaskets, pins and buttons for replacing the entire handle and post assembly. Available in either locking or non-locking version. Also used on 88-91 R/V series.

You must be registered for see images attach

I couldn't swear to it, it but I recently bought an NOS pair (in the GM boxes) and these appear to be the same exact kit. Mine cost $19.95 per!

I ordered a pair of armrests for a Sierra Classic I'm building and ordered them from Classic. They looked okay in the photo and they were only $45 each so I went for it. This is what they sent me:

I swore off Square Bodies for a few years - about a decade ago. Unfortunately, about 4 years ago I got SB fever again. I called Classic to order just some hardware. I asked about just paying over the phone. The guy says, "Oh there won't be any charge Mr. McCarthy, you have a $39 credit on your account" At least 5 years had passed and they still had my money in the account.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'll also put in the plug for Classic parts. I chose to bypass the rebuild process and bought some OEM vent window assemblies (pricy though). They have the rivet kit #03-825 and make sure you get the rivet setting tool # 03-835. both are about $8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64