76 C10 Fuel Tank Vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRustMan

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey all,

So, after 6 months of painstaking confusion, wrong parts, wrong setups, and stripped bolts, I am really close to firing up my first project truck with my little bro. Every time I think I am looking for something, I find another "thing" I didn't know existed or that I needed, and turns out these trucks had emissions? I know there are threads on charcoal canisters, so sorry to add another, but is there any cheaper option than buying a new canister for the fuel tank vent? I don't have the bracket either, so I'd be in at least 100 bucks or so for a new one.

The truck didn't come with one, but I have read that not having one will stink up the garage real bad, which is not ideal, obviously. I'm not opposed to jerry rigging something if you guys have recommendations, but I was just kinda wondering if I need to buy a new one or if there is a way to safely vent without it. I plan on starting the truck and breaking in the cam the way it sits now, but before I use it continuously I'd like to have the whole fuel system situation buttoned up.

Thank you!
Hayden

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Does your truck have an intact emissions label? If not they are on this site. Yes you will need a sealed system to keep fuel vapors in check.

Sealing helps control light hydrocarbon loss during storage. That is one of the issues with vehicles in extended storage, they run rough on the first tank of fuel. It is because the fuel doesn't want to burn. Another thing to consider is ethanol absorbs water if system is open to air.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Before you do that, just try running a length of hose from the vent out to the end of the frame toward the rear bumper and see how it does. That's how my truck has been for 3 years now with no issue. Throw a rollover valve on the end of it for good measure. I literally just have fuel hose from the vent, run along the frame in some of the rear harness clips or zip tied in other places. I don't even have a rollover valve, just open hose and have never had an issue with fuel smell even closed up in the garage at home

If it doesn't work and you do have alot of fuel smell, then buy a new canister. But it can't hurt to try it first

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I don't have one either, just a vent with rollover valve. Parked in the garage with no stink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef