Sealing Windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gatorhator98

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What are the thoughts on urethane under the windshield gasket? My bottom corners were leaking and the gasket was pretty dry and hard. When I pulled it it had urethane under the gasket. Obviously this blocked the drain holes in the corners. The inside radius of the pinch welds in the corners are sort of just starting to rust, not rot through. The edges are jagged after wire brushing the rust. With the new gasket alone would this seal up or should I use urethane to try and seal it better? I am torn on what to do because I feel like it might need extra help sealing but I don't want to block the drains and give the water more time to sit in the channel and work its way through and rot things out as well.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
JMO, if you still have plenty of pinch weld left, I'd clean all the urethane out, wire brush all the loose rust, make sure the drains are all clean, then I'd use some POR15 rust converter and paint the pinch weld with it. After that's dried and cured, then I'd install with just a NEW gasket and probably the type that has the insert to spread it out and make it tighter if I could find it.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'd always clean and replace with new urethane. I'm fortunate enough that I have a huge hole in my windshield (maybe not so lucky I guess, lol) so i'll be pulling it out by cutting it into pieces and cleaning out the surround ring and all the gorilla snot before i have a new one installed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd always clean and replace with new urethane. I'm fortunate enough that I have a huge hole in my windshield (maybe not so lucky I guess, lol) so i'll be pulling it out by cutting it into pieces and cleaning out the surround ring and all the gorilla snot before i have a new one installed.
Of course mine didn't have rust issues at the pinch welds but I've had 2 windshields replaced, didn't even use new gaskets, no glue or anything. No problems with leaks at all. My gaskets were still good and flexible.

Gatorhator98

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wire brushed all the gunk out and sprayed the bare metal with a rust converter. I will try and get some pics of the rust. I guess worst case I could install without urethane and if it leaks its clean and easy to pull out and urethane.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've got a smashed windshield (thank the wife for not paying attention when helping load 12' 2x4s through the back of the burb). I've replaced quarter windows before and I know the windshield is the same type of gasket but I figured I'd leave it to a glass company to do the windshield cause the old one always leaked just a little bit and I wanted to make sure it'd be water tight this time. I know the PO had it replaced in the past, I was just hoping the gasket was old and dry and the new one would be fine (my truck is 100% rust free from the desert). Are you saying you think a glass company would let this thing be leaky and block the drain holes when installing a new window? That would suck ass. At that point I should do it myself.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
JMO, if you still have plenty of pinch weld left, I'd clean all the urethane out, wire brush all the loose rust, make sure the drains are all clean, then I'd use some POR15 rust converter and paint the pinch weld with it. After that's dried and cured, then I'd install with just a NEW gasket and probably the type that has the insert to spread it out and make it tighter if I could find it.

I'll stand behind this as well... very important to use the rust converter. If you can't get Por15 dont sweat, there are others that all work good. just be sure it is rust CONVERTER and not encapsulator .

Gatorhator98

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just used Rustoleum's rust converter.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Gatorhator98

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Think urethane is needed or the seal will be good?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That looks like you have plenty of meat left there. Rust converter was a good idea to prevent it from getting any worse. Hopefully killed it in it's tracks. I'd expect if the drain holes stayed cleared you shouldn't have any more rust issues. As said, I had 2 trucks that had new windshields put in. Nothing was used but the gaskets and nothing else. No Problems. No Leaks.

Gatorhator98

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Been gasket should be here this week. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the input guys.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just saw this, @1987 GMC Jimmy I had a shop tackle mine. They knocked all the rust off and cleaned everything very well then hit it with po15 and topped it all with some thick black tar like stuff (not at all sure what it was) probably just windshield sealer? then they put the seal over that.

Before that I did have another shop try and tackle the windshield. After replacing it, it leaked so I took it back to them and their solution was to crap silicone everywhere while telling me you should never use silicone for such a thing because it clogs the drains, and actually collects water while trapping it which makes the rusting worse.

@Gatorhator98 its looking good! definitely let us know how the seal goes in and works for you.

Gatorhator98

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will let you know. I think it will be a while before it goes back in. I think I have let things get a little bit out of control. The brown you see in the pictures is not nice brown paint it is sun baked surface rust type stuff. The whole truck is that way. I just got done wiring the garage for a welder and compressor. I am going to tackle the rusted cab corners and try and attempt to get the truck all one color. Trying to come up with a good combination of rust treatment/primer/paint is overwhelming. I don't want to have to prime and block it a million times, not many people on the paint forums seem to understand anything other than show quality finishes. I just want it all one color without the new paint flaking off or any surface rust that happens to get left bubbling through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019