running lights and interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
Well before I put in the new transmission I had the running lights and all no problem. I put in the new transmission cleaned up good and now the running lights don't work at all. On top of that the interior lights don't work either I know they are connected so I thought to check the fuses all of them are fine none were broke. The dash don't work at all also because I assume that they are connected to the running lights also. I thought it could be the switch BUT before the transmission swap when I opened the door the interior light would turn on. Now it does not at all so I don't think it is the switch at all because if it was I would assume the interior light would come on when I open the door with or without a working switch. So the only thing I think it might be is a ground wire I might of disconnected. Is there one main ground for the lights??? If so where is it located so I can follow it. Its for my 1986 k10 4x4 chevy 350. Thanks all

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You need to re-check the 20 amp fuse in the slot labeled T/L CTSY. Use a multimeter. DO NOT depend on the apparent condition of the fusible wire (the one that is visible in the window of the fuse). It can be broken at the edges and not appear to be blown.

That fuse supplies power to all the circuits you are having issues with.

The headlights continue to function because they are fed from a seperate source than the parking/courtesy/dome lighting groups.

See if you can follow the notations and arrows on the wiring diagrams below - Good luck they are pretty confusing:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

If the fuse tests out as good, you will next have to see if you have power coming into the light switch on the orange wire.

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
I already used the multimeter and it checked out fine. So now I need to find orange wire on back of the switch???

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Pinched wire installing the crossmember?

Posted from hell

cblohm350

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
id light switch come unplugged happened to me when i plugged light switch back in the one terminal that runs the lights in question bent upwards thus not making contact
i thought light switch went bad so i unplugged it to go get a new one and noticed it was bent i pushed it back down and it worked
i belive when looking at light switch with the pull knob to the left it was the top terminal on right hand side

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So all good now then?