Rubbing ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
First off Happy New Year everyone. Been quite busy this past year. Just had a little one born at the end of November. And work was pretty hellish this year. I did get a new hitch purchased and installed recently. Ill have pics soon.
This morning while taking my kids to school my truck started grinding from the drivers side front wheel pretty bad. I thought it might of been a rock stuck up in some snow. I got out and turned the wheel to check. I saw a very fresh wear mark on my upper ball joint and also on the axle where the u joint is. I haven't tore into it yet but i hoping for some input as to what would cause it to happen. Did my bearing go? Thanks in advance.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Update... U joint went.
But heres the new hitch pic
You must be registered for see images attach

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
U joint went where? South for the winter? looks cold there.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
It tucked its balls and ran haha. Its not too bad here today. Mid 30s.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
So is there any tips or tricks anyone would like to tell me before i dive into this in the morning. I have a press available to me. And i did read on here that the edges of the new ujoints may or may not need rounded off to clear zerk fittings. Anything else or is it pretty straight forward

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Its very straight forward... just time consuming, you have to remove everything to the spindle. Once that is off the axle slides right out and you can change it. Be sure to inspect the needle bearing on the inside of the spindle. Since the spindle will be off they are easy to do. People overlook these very often. They make an very annoying whine when in 4WD when they're bad.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I grabbed an axle seal as well. That just slides in the end of the axle correct?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First off Happy New Year everyone. Been quite busy this past year. Just had a little one born at the end of November.
Congrats on the new addition to the family. Been wondering where you have been, haven't seen any posts from you in a while.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Congrats on the new addition to the family. Been wondering where you have been, haven't seen any posts from you in a while.
Yea been pretty busy. Fortunately its nice today to be able to change this outside

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I grabbed an axle seal as well. That just slides in the end of the axle correct?
axle seals installs from inside of the diff. There is a wheel seal that keeps dirt out from the back side of the hub assembly if that is the one you are referring to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe