Busted ball joint boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
How important is it that the balljoint boots aren't opened up? I installed some Moog HD (Problem Solver?) ball joints on my truck about 3 years ago, and today I noticed one of the boots has a huge crack. The thing is, these ball joints have maybe 15k miles on them. I don't drive the truck all that much, putting maybe 15k miles on it in 3 years.

Did I tighten them down too much? Or did I just get a crappy part? I was under the impression these ball joints were supposed to last 60k miles, even if the truck sits most of that time.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Shouldn't crack under normal use, likely damaged during install. About the only thing you can do [short of replacement] is keep grease in it and periodically check for wear. If upper at least water will drain out.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
The boot is important to keep the water/dirt out. Water isn't as big a deal because it won't mix with the grease but the dirt will kill a ball joint eventually to the point of failure.
I had torn boots and put on some of these:

They're thicker and while I haven't put many miles on the truck they are currently holding the grease in place.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Shouldn't crack under normal use, likely damaged during install. About the only thing you can do [short of replacement] is keep grease in it and periodically check for wear. If upper at least water will drain out.

Do you know how they typically get damaged during installation? I'd like to make sure I avoid it if I have to reinstall. Not sure how easy it is to over tighten.

The boot is important to keep the water/dirt out. Water isn't as big a deal because it won't mix with the grease but the dirt will kill a ball joint eventually to the point of failure.
I had torn boots and put on some of these:

They're thicker and while I haven't put many miles on the truck they are currently holding the grease in place.

Maybe a dumb question but, did you remove the ball joint completely, and was it a hassle to get the old boot off and get the new boot on?

Seems like even a "cover" would work. Since you're just keeping dirt and water out.

Last edited:

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Maybe a dumb question but, did you remove the ball joint completely, and was it a hassle to get the old boot off and get the new boot on?

Seems like even a "cover" would work. Since you're just keeping dirt and water out.

To replace the boot/cover you do not have to remove the balljoint. Just unbolt it from the knuckle, drop it out of the knuckle and slide off the old one. If you do not have greasable balljoint(s) I would put as much grease in the cover as possible. Slide the new cover on and boly it up.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
To replace the boot/cover you do not have to remove the balljoint. Just unbolt it from the knuckle, drop it out of the knuckle and slide off the old one. If you do not have greasable balljoint(s) I would put as much grease in the cover as possible. Slide the new cover on and boly it up.

About to do this job, so I wanted to ask - Does it matter the brand of the ball joint? Or is that just how the boots are made on these old trucks? To come off easily.

I've been watching youtube vids and it looks like some ball joints are difficult to separate from their boots. And it makes sense that the boots aren't just sitting there. Cause that wouldn't really keep much dirt and water out. Thanks!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Shouldn't matter the brand. Mine were pretty easy to come off. Once the pressure is there they seal up pretty tight. And the set I posted is pretty thick so they don't deform much, if any.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Well I jacked up the truck and rocked the wheel from left to right. Lots of play and a nice clunking sound. So I rocked it from top to bottom. Same result. Does this mean that I probably have a dead ball joint, and a dead tie rod end?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Well I jacked up the truck and rocked the wheel from left to right. Lots of play and a nice clunking sound. So I rocked it from top to bottom. Same result. Does this mean that I probably have a dead ball joint, and a dead tie rod end?
I'd be more suspect of wheel bearings. But it's all cheap and easy and very important. I would do it all, but that's me.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Used to maintain a fleet of Subaru's. Got to the point of being able to replace boots almost blindfolded. Big prybars, hammers & jacks were all that was required. Lots of truck speedy boots available for quick fix. Ive found them to have short lives.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I would watch the ball joint and tie rod end for movement as you're rocking the wheel. If they don't move then it will be bearing.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I'd be more suspect of wheel bearings. But it's all cheap and easy and very important. I would do it all, but that's me.

One day around 3 years ago a buddy helped me redo everything. And I do mean everything, even all 4 control arms. The new front end has somewhere around 8k miles on it. It would be a disappointment if it's starting to go bad already. After this ball joint boot though, I won't be buying moog anymore. They can kiss my business (and recommendation) goodbye. I have a Toyota vehicle that has 160k on oem ball joints and the boots are just fine. If toyota can get good boots, so can moog. But they don't so... enjoy losing business I guess. Some of these companies ain't got the IQ god gave a rock.

I would watch the ball joint and tie rod end for movement as you're rocking the wheel. If they don't move then it will be bearing.

The wheel does make a "Sssss ssssssssssss" sound when you spin it. It also doesn't spin for very long, maybe 2.5 rounds. When you spin it by hand. But it's not really audible when you drive it, which is what everything says to listen for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507