Rubber or poly bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ll have to look those up, but I’ll plan to do like I said. I wish I could do poly on body mounts, but knowing my luck, it would squeak to no end.

I used the poly body mounts on a another car and it was miserable. It stiffened that connection point and didn't gain anything other then new bushings. Squaked occasionally which would be fixed with some poly grease but they'd need that about every year or so.

So far I have poly for the sway bars and shock mounts on the truck. Rubber for body, engine and trans mounts. Havent had to grease anything, no squeaks, no real problems.

Edit: thats my experience tho.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I used the poly body mounts on a another car and it was miserable. It stiffened that connection point and didn't gain anything other then new bushings. Squaked occasionally which would be fixed with some poly grease but they'd need that about every year or so.

So far I have poly for the sway bars and shock mounts on the truck. Rubber for body, engine and trans mounts. Havent had to grease anything, no squeaks, no real problems.

Edit: thats my experience tho.
what about torque mounts? Like a lot of gm FWD sedans have torque axis mounts that handle mostly the twisty torque of an engines travel, unibody im sure the main reason. but if you left other mounts traditional shock,spring, full rubber, etc. i could see a mount that sets on the craddle to be bad all around, but maybe two points opposite eachother and the rest rubber, to limit movement.

in these old vehiccles, defintely want body mounts to be soft as possilble. silicone?
rubber otherwise

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
All spring and sway bar bushings poly, body bushings rubber is what I run. Works good, no squeaking.
I would like to try Offroad Design kevlar bushings.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
All spring and sway bar bushings poly, body bushings rubber is what I run. Works good, no squeaking.
I would like to try Offroad Design kevlar bushings.
what does the kevlar offer? something with SOME give for hard use so you dont break things

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Quote ORD:

Infusing Kevlar into polyurethane doubles the tensile strength, tear resistance, and increases the life of the part by cross linking the polyurethane.
Due to its wide range of elastomeric properties and strength factors, Kevlar Infused Polyurethane out handles, out preforms and outlasts other similar polyurethane materials on the market.

Less play in my suspension. Poly bushings improved handling a lot so maybe kevlar improves it a bit more. I like to experiment with stuff like that.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Quote ORD:

Infusing Kevlar into polyurethane doubles the tensile strength, tear resistance, and increases the life of the part by cross linking the polyurethane.
Due to its wide range of elastomeric properties and strength factors, Kevlar Infused Polyurethane out handles, out preforms and outlasts other similar polyurethane materials on the market.

Less play in my suspension. Poly bushings improved handling a lot so maybe kevlar improves it a bit more. I like to experiment with stuff like that.
Oh I see, so definitely not cab mounts unless you truly like to be one with your engine so much so you take the same primary and secondary forces through your body

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes