Rough country frame reinforcement kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thetundrawolf

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Hi,

I have a 1982 GMC K1500 with the 6.2L diesel. I was offroading it recently when it sopped steering. I was forced to drive my Isuzu PUP in there with my Lincoln G7 welder to repair the frame the best I could.

I had to use a 16mm wrench to bridge a large frame tear as you can see in the pictures. I had the truck towed home.

I purchased the Rough Country frame repair kit and I looked at the damage... Am I going to be able to use this kit with the damage to my frame? If not, what do i do... cut and splice in an entirely new frame front end? I'd rather double up on the rough country repair kit...

Pictures below...

What do I do to get my truck steering again?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

thetundrawolf

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I really need help. I need to make this my dd again. Could I weld a washer into the hole? What about the big tears? Should I weld two reinforcement kits together then weld them to the frame for extra support...

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
I would weld both sides.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I would think the "correct" repair method would be to expose as much of that section of frame as possible, ie remove everything attached to it or around it, cut out all the bad metal around the cracks, align the remaining metal with clamps, jacks, etc, and then weld in brand-new metal to replace what you cut out. This is the backbone of the truck you are talking about. You do NOT want to skimp out on it, especially if you plan to continue off-roading etc!

This is why I would NEVER EVER EVER take my DD off-roading. I know some do, but if its my only source of transportation you bet your golden butt-hole I'll be babying it as much as possible!!!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I do with my dd but i have spare vehicals lol agree woth posted aboce on fixin it right i wouldnd do tje whole front in but definetly cut out the old male sure everyhings clean and straight then beef it up while your at it

weezman11

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 BLAZER
Engine Size
I would cut out the rot and replace/plate accordingly. I'm blown away that you didn't feel major slop in the steering long ago!

The frame repair kit isn't made to fix/band-aid that kind of damage.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
get a new frame. much easier to do a frame swap then to fix that. I noticed previous welding on the bumper bracket, why? also do are you running a steering arm? if that's your daily driver you need to slow down. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx