rod knock when warm, good oil pressure. just replace bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So my newly-acquired 454 has a subdle rod knock, but it has good pressure and cold-starts quietly most of the time. I'm strongly considering pulling the earl pan, mic'ing the crank, and just changing the rod bearings according to wear with some vattozone .001 or .002 under bearings accordingly. (assuming it didn't spin a bearing)

Question 1: how often does a crank turn out to be ok with a subtle knod rock?

Question 2: Would an oil flush be a better idea before or after the new bearings are installed?

The reason I'm asking is because i just need this engine to run about 10k or 20k miles until i either do a proper rebuild or an 8.1 swap.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you are certain it's a rod knock, new bearings should buy you some time if the crank looks good. And maybe a bottle of Lucas after that.

What oil do you run? Maybe it's just getting to thin when warm?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
rod knock when warm, good oil pressure. just

Man that would suck if it was rod knock. could just be spark knock from using low octane gas. What grade gas are you using?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

pacman1318

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So my newly-acquired 454 has a subdle rod knock, but it has good pressure and cold-starts quietly most of the time. I'm strongly considering pulling the earl pan, mic'ing the crank, and just changing the rod bearings according to wear with some vattozone .001 or .002 under bearings accordingly. (assuming it didn't spin a bearing)

Question 1: how often does a crank turn out to be ok with a subtle knod rock?

Question 2: Would an oil flush be a better idea before or after the new bearings are installed?

The reason I'm asking is because i just need this engine to run about 10k or 20k miles until i either do a proper rebuild or an 8.1 swap.

Thats what the Sunday funny papers ar for.:)

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
All I can really tell you is its not a spun bearing,,,,if the bearing was spun that motor would run like a bucket of bolts for a short while possibly destroying the crankshaft,,,metal fragments would go everywhere oil can go destroying every moving part,scoring up the cylinders and pretty much creating the need for a total rebuild,,,

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
By "warm" i mean after about 30 seconds of running.

On an actual cold start it clatters horrendously for about a second until it gets preasure.

http://youtu.be/O6hZi_zziVA

pacman1318

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My dad owned a car dealership for many years and I learned a lot of used car tricks, no bananas in the trans but I did learn the newspaper under the bearing and it works for a while if you need to get it by for a while and heavy oil helps.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My dad owned a car dealership for many years and I learned a lot of used car tricks, no bananas in the trans but I did learn the newspaper under the bearing and it works for a while if you need to get it by for a while and heavy oil helps.

!!!!!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah, newspaper - that'll do the trick! But if it doesn't just cut a piece of leather belt to replace that bearing with. Might as well rebuild your fuel pump with a bicycle inner tube while you're dirty....

https://youtu.be/cxf_Dvy0VLs

Last edited:

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Better pull the pan asap and not do anymore starts at all , the problem will just get worse. May have newspaper under the bearing already !?
If it's a rod brng the big-end of the rod will be out of round and may not be the only one in sad shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30