Knock upon starting, new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
The lifters were smooth in their bores, no problems in that department.
Stock valve springs and rockers, so no excess pressure from them to complicate anything.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
My roomie has already called Summit and they emailed him a return shipping label.
Now we gotta decide what cam to buy for the engine.
The 929 sounds very similar to the Summit 1102, but I don't know about the cost.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The reason I picked 929 is it has been around for decades there should be plenty of N.O.S versions everywhere.Sealed power made a copy.TRW made a copy.Teds discount backyard camshafts,made a copy there should be no problem finding one cheap somewhere.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
I've been doing some research in re-doing the top end of my father in laws K20 350. In the process, I came across this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's a pretty decent video on a 350 sbc he's building.

Anyway, this engine builder had a set of lifters go bad during a camshaft break in. The whole video is good, but specifically, he has a few things to say (at about the 6:00 minute mark) on lifter quality and brands.

Good luck on the rebuild.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am watching it now, even though it's past my bedtime and I am worn out from the big city trip today.
And I am taking notes.
Roomie is going to call Summit tomorrow and call them out on their ad for the cam kit he bought, they show the lifters with the ring and hardened surface, but that is NOT what they sent him in the kit.
We are discussing the possibility of giving Summit a second chance with a new replacement cam IF they can supply the CORRECT lifters.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Roller is a whole different animal.Flat tappet is rubbing metal to metal lifter,on camshaft lobe.Thats why the big deal about proper break in.ZDDP, making sure lifters travel smooth and can rotate in their bores, running as little spring pressure as you can with your cam etc.etc. I use rotella T4 in anything flat tappet, it still has old school formulation with ZDDP. I like the specs on the summit 1102 but I think I'd be hunting for a new old stock 929 chevrolet cam or a new old stock aftermarket equivalent,and don't run cheap lifters.

yeah, I’m aware it’s not the same thing. He asked where to get a good cam, I was merely giving him an answer with my own personal experience. Delta cam doesn’t just do hydraulic roller, they are fully equipped to give him whatever he wants at a good price. They have been around for a very long time and have a good reputation. You can actually call and talk to the guy that will be grinding your cam. Tell him what you have and what you want and he will grind a cam specifically for your application, for a reasonable price.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
yeah, I’m aware it’s not the same thing. He asked where to get a good cam, I was merely giving him an answer with my own personal experience. Delta cam doesn’t just do hydraulic roller, they are fully equipped to give him whatever he wants at a good price. They have been around for a very long time and have a good reputation. You can actually call and talk to the guy that will be grinding your cam. Tell him what you have and what you want and he will grind a cam specifically for your application, for a reasonable price.
I know what you mean, Norris is the same way, IMHO people doing custom grinds , it's now kind of a spin of the roulette wheel, most people in this niche are grinding an existing cam taking material off the low side to allow the lifter to travel down further since its starting lower even though the peak is the same, since you started lower you gainedvlift and duration.The problem in my eyes is on a flat tappet these days it's hard enough for the big companies to get a good, new billet.So how are you going to get good used billets.Hell maybe it's better, IDK maybe they are hand selecting only good used O.E. cores. The way cams are going flat in today's world it's just too scary for me.Some people are afraid of water, heights, dogs, etc. I"m afraid of camshafts whether it's a logical fear,who knows.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000