Review and pics -- Proform Valve Cover Hold-Downs with Wire Clips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My previous spark plug wire holders were dying. They were put on by some PO, probably in 1998 when it was rebuilt, and we just moved them to the new motor, so they didn't owe us anything. Also, I was getting a little seepage from under the front of the right side valve cover. Full synthetic oil will leak out anywhere it is given a chance. The valve covers were held on with the T-nut doo-dads with 3" pressure spreaders.

So I bought these. They also come in red, blue, and chrome.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66292BKC/10002/-1?parentProductId=746299

These are .165" thick over the coating, so they are stamped out of 4mm steel. Being that thick, they are very rigid. The detents that push down on the valve cover stick down .115". They paint/powdercoat is nicely done, high-gloss, without major orange peel or defect. The wire clips are the press-in type, and look pretty sturdy. They accepted my Taylor 8mm wires with no problem. The clips are bolted to the unit from underneath.

Installation was straightforward. No issues were encountered with the product interfering with plumbing or the like. To get good routing of the wires around the headers, the plug wires counting out from the valve cover are 1-3-7-5 on one side and 2-4-8-6 on the other. This allows the last two plug wires on each side to cross each other and get in there without danger of contacting the header tubes.

No idea whether these will keep the valve covers synth-tight or not yet. I also have a can of an aviation product, TiteSeal (medium thickness) coming, with which I will seal the valve covers if it keeps being a problem. TiteSeal does not harden, so you use it on the non-cemented side of the gasket. I probably won't need it with these, and the gaskets in there are top-of-the-line.

I think these cleaned up the look quite a bit. I got rid of those stainless trays and opened up the view of the engine, and I like it.

Before, Drivers side:

You must be registered for see images attach

After, Drivers side:

Before, Passengers side:

After, Passengers side:

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks nice and clean.

kenswim

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Real neat and clean. Like it! Thanks for the pics

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am seeing it right, they go all the way around the perimeter on the TOP of the valve cover edge, correct? I like it, looks nice and tidy.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, they go over the whole valve cover flange, sort of like a trim ring on a wheel. They have eight spots where they are bent down in a V to create a pressure point in addition to the pressure points at the screw locations. There are two pressure points between the screws on both the inside long edge and the outside long edge, as well as one at each end of each long edge about an inch back from the corner. That puts a screw between each pair of pressure points. And they are stiff enough, at .165" thick, that they really do press down on those points when the screws are tightened to bring it down in contact with the valve cover flange.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cool, I was pretty sure that is what I was seeing. Those might end up on my Monte when I put the engine back in this spring.

You do nice work on your truck Rich, I have enjoyed watching and getting ideas from you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes