Replacing fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sebe4848

Reaction score
First Name
sebastian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I found a small hole in the drivers side fuel tank, so I am replacing the entire tank. I would prefer not to lift the bed up, but just simply drop the tank. Can anybody give me detailed instructions on how to do this? Pictures would help as well if possible. I have an 86 c10 short wheel base if it helps with duel tanks.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The 3 or 2 fuel lines at the top of the tank need to be removed before or during the process of dropping the tank.

There are 2 brackets attached to the frame that the tank sits in and is supported by. Those brackets each have 4 bolts on the inside of the frame rail that thread into welded nuts on the support bracket.

First remove the tank filler hoses from the tank or the fill tube bracket from the box.

Support the tank with a jack in the center, unbolt the 4 bolts for each bracket from the inside of the truck frame rails, lower the tank just enough to allow access to the fuel hoses on the top of the tank and remove them. And the sending wire too!

Now you can lower your tank and remove

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
The job is ridiculously easy. If it's got gas in it, use a floor jack and jack stands to help lower it. Here's the real pain in the ass....reconnecting the 3 fuel lines back to the sending unit....wow....I culdnt do it no matter how hard I tried....pissed me off and frustrated me like no other.

Until I grew a brain...

When you go buy the new lines...make them a couple of feet long, rather than the factory 4", and let them just coil up one loop. OMG for making the job much easier. Have the tank on the jack and stands, connect fuel lines and jack it up into place....rest rap and put on rock shield and you are golden.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Or attach the 4 inch lines to the tank first and use long needle nose pliers to push the hoses on as you roll the tank towards the frame on your jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood