Replacing front-end steering components soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thought I would get a thread going about this.

In the coming weeks, I'm going to start gathering front-end steering components to replace the worn out parts on the truck. So far, my list includes the following:

* Tierod ends
* Idler arm
* Pitman arm
* Front wheel bearings
* Maybe ball joints if I have the funds

The other thing I need to tackle while I am replacing those parts is getting the steering centered. As of right now, it favors the left more than the right; plus, the steering wheel is turned to the left with the wheels straight. So, I am curious if someone with an aligned front-end could measure their installed tierods. This would at least get me close, if not spot on.

Is there anything I am missing from the list? My truck is simply 2WD. Thanks!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
shocks while your there?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
shocks while your there?

Thought about it, but the current ones are good.

Got a question though: does my truck have inner tierods? Reason I ask is Autozone doesn't have them listed, but RockAuto does. They also have rear shocks listed even though my truck rides on leaf springs for the rear. Just curious.

Thanks!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thought about it, but the current ones are good.

Got a question though: does my truck have inner tierods? Reason I ask is Autozone doesn't have them listed, but RockAuto does. They also have rear shocks listed even though my truck rides on leaf springs for the rear. Just curious.

Thanks!

Yes you do have rear shocks AND leaf springs. Without the rear shocks, the rear would boung up and down like riding on a balloon.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes you do have rear shocks AND leaf springs. Without the rear shocks, the rear would boung up and down like riding on a balloon.

Figured it did. What about the inner tierods? Guess I need to find a schematic of how the steering components fit together.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
First question - 2WD or 4WD truck? The use/configuration of tie rods is different for 2WD vs. 4WD. Take a look at this picture and see what I mean.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=65

2WD definitely has inner and outer tie rods. For a 4WD there are different setups for different years. They all have tie rod ends and a rod that connects them, but no inner tie rods.

To add to the confusion, some parts sites refer to the 4WD drag link ends as tie rod ends.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64