Replacement Bed Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have this 1975 3/4 that has a pretty rough bed and tailgate on it. I am not sure that the bed would be smart to try to save. I am no body expert but it looks like it would add a ton to paint and body even if it's possible to be straightened out.

I have not decided if I am going to put a flat bed on it or look for a replacement long bed. If I do go with a replacement are there any differences in 73-87 beds or do I need to look for an early version to keep the truck looking correct?

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just saw a post from JKnight in another thread that seems to explain it somewhat.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
all are the same with the exception of the filler door area. The early ones the cap just stuck out there so there was no door. The later ones had the square door so that's the main differences externally. The lines are all the same.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
OK, thanks. This one does not have a filler door, but I don't guess it would be the end of the world if I find a decent bed that has the filler doors.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't forget the square door boxes will use different filler hoses as well.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
73-78 have fuel cap
79-87 have fuel doors
79-83 have sheet metal fuel filler neck mount
84-87 have plastic fuel filler mount
73-80 single tanks on right side
81-87 have single tanks on left
73-80 have large tailgate mount trunions
81-87 have small tailgate mount trunions

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
If you get a wild idea about building a bed from new parts I may be of some assistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We're talking about a short bed here right? Ehhh, short wheelbase chassis just don't look all that great with flat beds. Now if it were a 4x4 and wanted the truggy look and a bed was made of angle iron, iron mesh and roll cage type, then they look OK, but doesn't sound like that's the purpose of this vehicle. So IMO, if it matters, I'd be looking for a way for a good bed.

So what is rough about your current bed? Bedsides, Floor, Tailgate or what? Maybe you can get by by just replacing a couple panels with aftermarket cheap China sheetmetal. You can always put a good finish on it so it will hold up well.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you get a wild idea about building a bed from new parts I may be of some assistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't even think about building one, was just hoping to find a decent one in good shape.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
We're talking about a short bed here right? Ehhh, short wheelbase chassis just don't look all that great with flat beds. Now if it were a 4x4 and wanted the truggy look and a bed was made of angle iron, iron mesh and roll cage type, then they look OK, but doesn't sound like that's the purpose of this vehicle. So IMO, if it matters, I'd be looking for a way for a good bed.

So what is rough about your current bed? Bedsides, Floor, Tailgate or what? Maybe you can get by by just replacing a couple panels with aftermarket cheap China sheetmetal. You can always put a good finish on it so it will hold up well.

No, this one is a long bed. It's a 1975 4X4 3/4 ton camper special. The tailgate on this one is not repairable (I think) kind of looks like someone just beat the hell out of the top edge. The top of the bed rails on both sides are also pretty beat up. Also looks like someone maybe ran over a stump or big rock because the bottom of drivers side is smashed upwards.

I do have a short bed 2wd that probably needs a bed too, it has different problems, mainly rust over and behind wheel wells and then the rear of the bed floor looks like someone repaired it and did and awful job. I think I could chip the floor away with a screw driver. There was a very nice short bed on craigslist, it was $650 though. Couldn't make myself buy it but I am guessing the one I have would be that much in work at least.

There are some pictures of the long bed in this thread

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12792

but I swear it looks way better in those pics than it does up close. In fact when I went to buy it I was really disappointed but when I drove it I thought it did pretty good. Its a big block and was running good and shifting smooth so I bought it.

Last edited:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I like that green truck. I saw a pic of a really shiny clean one on another web site. It was really sharp.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I like that green truck. I saw a pic of a really shiny clean one on another web site. It was really sharp.

I like it too, there are a few spots where you can see what the paint is supposed to look like. The longer I have the truck, the more I would like it to be my driver. Going to be a lot of work though.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I like it too, there are a few spots where you can see what the paint is supposed to look like. The longer I have the truck, the more I would like it to be my driver. Going to be a lot of work though.

A lot of work, but in the end it will be well worth it.:headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man