Repair or Replace bedside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
This is what I have to deal with on my 81 K-20 4x4.

I need some expert input. Would I be better off buying a new bedside or could I get away with just buying some body patches and welding them in myself? Besides the rust, it looks like all the sheet metal is there. It would take me a year just to pound it back close to the way it looked new.

Any ideas as to which method I should use ?

You must be registered for see images attach

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'd go with cut and weld, if you are comfortable with doing it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If there isn't any rust through, only surface, I would try to get it straightened before I cut original steel and patched it.

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If budget is not a big concern, get a new bedside.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I see the truck is in Nevada. That said, how available is a whole bed versus replacing the side? I can see replacing the side costing as much as another bed. But since you arn't in the rust belt like I am you coild probably get away with cutting that off and welding on a repair without too much concern in the rust department if it's done right.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you can find a good OEM box and don't mind spending the money then you could go that route. The after market sides are not the same quality nor the exact same shape as an OEM one. They use thinner metal.

If you had some patience I would remove the box side from the truck and bang out that damage. If you go about it the right way and take your time you would be surprised how well you could bang it out. If you really took your time you wouldn't even need body filler unless it cracks and you need to weld it. Even then there are methods to bang it out with out the need for filler.

I always thought it was impossible to bang out dents fully until I watched I guy over in the UK on YouTube share some dent banging secrets and it works really well! Unfortunately I don't have the link but try searching YouTube for "banging dents" you probably will find his videos

The metal looks pretty solid there still so I would try that first. If it works out for you you wont spend anything but the cost of a few hammers and dollys

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Thanks for the input MadOgre. Im not in any rush on this truck, so this may be the best option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody