Recommend method for cleaning fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My '84 K1500 sat dormant for several years before I bought it and made it run again. I siphoned the tank and removed the Pepsi colored gas from it. After driving it around some, it looks like some crud has broken loose from the bottom and it keeps jamming my fuel filter. I'm about to drop the tank and clean it properly. What method do ya'll recommend to give it a proper cleaning? Thanks.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

I ended up throwing the tank away because they can be had so cheaply online

Nothing I tried helped the gunk in my case, it was thick

But that same motor is also now in my 79' which got a brand new 1 year only 87 c10 baffled saddle tank.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size

I ended up throwing the tank away because they can be had so cheaply online

Nothing I tried helped the gunk in my case, it was thick

But that same motor is also now in my 79' which got a brand new 1 year only 87 c10 baffled saddle tank.

Thanks, that's a very informative thread. I might bite the bullet and get another tank, depending on how severe the current one looks. This is a dual tank truck, so I get to do this twice.:disgust:

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Its not as hard as you think it will be. The emptier the better.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I've done it with a few tanks using just water and rocks or chains. If its really bad, put some diesel in there and drop a medium sized chain in. Shake the heck out of it and it should take just about everything off the inside. Don't be afraid to use water to clean it out, just turn it upside down and let dry outside for a day or so and it will be fine.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I've done it with a few tanks using just water and rocks or chains. If its really bad, put some diesel in there and drop a medium sized chain in. Shake the heck out of it and it should take just about everything off the inside. Don't be afraid to use water to clean it out, just turn it upside down and let dry outside for a day or so and it will be fine.

I might try and see what happens when I put a pressure washer wand in the tank.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If it's at all on it's way to rusting through (they're thin), just spend 10 minutes and $100 and have a new one shipped to your door.
If it's just varnish and crud. Eat the varnish out with some good solvent and then de-scale it with rocks or chain, rinse, dry, and reinstall.

Have heard mixed reviews about the spray in lining for fuel tanks that are rusted on the inside.. Don't think I'd do that.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
If it's at all on it's way to rusting through (they're thin), just spend 10 minutes and $100 and have a new one shipped to your door.
If it's just varnish and crud. Eat the varnish out with some good solvent and then de-scale it with rocks or chain, rinse, dry, and reinstall.

Have heard mixed reviews about the spray in lining for fuel tanks that are rusted on the inside.. Don't think I'd do that.

I did not even know that was a thing. I can see why spraying any sort of coating into a tank filled with something known to eat through various kinds of paint can be a bad idea.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Drop the tank and take a look before you make up your mind, it might just be the filter sock on the sending unit disintegrating.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I did not even know that was a thing. I can see why spraying any sort of coating into a tank filled with something known to eat through various kinds of paint can be a bad idea.
And it's like $50-60/qt...so again, a new tank is a competitive option.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
I'd drop them and look first. Mine got to where it couldn't go 75 miles without stopping the filter up and stalling. I cleaned them with a brush on a flexible heavy wire and they were shiny. I also flushed the lines. It still took replacing the filters several times before i got it all out.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My '84 K1500 sat dormant for several years before I bought it and made it run again. I siphoned the tank and removed the Pepsi colored gas from it. After driving it around some, it looks like some crud has broken loose from the bottom and it keeps jamming my fuel filter. I'm about to drop the tank and clean it properly. What method do ya'll recommend to give it a proper cleaning? Thanks.
Replacement. They're dirt cheap at rock auto.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Compare to amazon and do the math with the same part # before you order.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
BBs, ball bearings, old nuts and bolts, clean pee stone, ect in the tank, with vinegar. Leave it for a day or 2, shake it around side to side every once and a while. Then if that doesnt do it, toilet bowl cleaner and same deal. Then clean with old gas and done. That's how I did my old jeep tank, worked well

67ventwindow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have cleaned tanks out with rocks, marbles, chain and the like. It has always worked well. I usually run a cleanable glass tube filter to see if I still have issues. Then reinstall the standard filter after a month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner