"Rebuilt" 700r4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Have always heard if its not set right you can burn them up in 10 miles if your beating on it. Also to aggressive is better than to soft. If its stacking gears its to soft or governor is to low. When you are adjusting it are you going WOT by the pedal or the linkage at the carb? Make sure you are getting WOT with the carb also.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My current set up, il probably get a bracket to hold the tv cable farther over inline with the throttle cable

You must be registered for see images attach

Have i been looking at tbi brackets to long or is that really close to the carb?

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Have i been looking at tbi brackets to long or is that really close to the carb?
That's my thought, its factory. I'm gonna grab an adjustable one

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just don't soak that governor gear in the brakleen. That is just a poly gear and I'd think that brakleen would melt it. Spraying it out shouldn't be a problem, but don't soak it in it. It's not hard to tell if the valve is moving in the governor bore or not, but it sounds like you're got the problem nailed down to the TV cable adjustment. Better a hair to tight than to loose.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Just don't soak that governor gear in the brakleen. That is just a poly gear and I'd think that brakleen would melt it. Spraying it out shouldn't be a problem, but don't soak it in it. It's not hard to tell if the valve is moving in the governor bore or not, but it sounds like you're got the problem nailed down to the TV cable adjustment. Better a hair to tight than to loose.
Good to hear, I agree. How sensitive is the tv cable to adjustment? Would a quarter inch really make THAT MUCH of a difference?

JON79C10

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi Pro transmission builder here....
If you google up Edelbrock TV adapter you will not come up with many pictures that fit your actual adapter. Maybe you have the wrong adapter type for your carb model.
The correct start and finish point for the pull of the cable is very important. Double check your model number and which adapter it uses. I could be wrong but it doesnt look right to me. The support bracket you are using is for the old th350 kickdown, it may be ok but doesnt really position itself very well for a nice cable entry.
The TV start point is the most important, pulling the moment the throttle moves, this jacks the pump pressure up from about 60-80psi to around 250-300. When you are cruising at only slight throttle opening, you will have only 60psi on the clutches if the TV isnt pulling and it wont hold diddly squat for very long.
The position of full throttle is still important but only because if it cant travel the full distance at full throttle it will wrench the outer cable on the ratchet adjustment, moving the critical start point back to bad slack position - your trans will then wreck itself on the next outing in short order.
PULLS the moment the throttle pulls - cant pull anymore at full throttle - is the correct and only way it should be set. If you have a problem with either position you have bad adapter angle issues that must be fixed.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Good to hear, I agree. How sensitive is the tv cable to adjustment? Would a quarter inch really make THAT MUCH of a difference?

the tv cable adjusts pressure in the transmission so if your 1/4" low on adjustment at 500tq you can slip the clutches and burn it up. only way to tell for sure is put a gauge in the lines and check it to see how much a difference it makes in a stock trans, in my vette with its trans its a big difference.

JON79C10

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes a quarter inch makes a massive difference. If you open your throttle a quarter of an inch see what happens to the engine. If your tv cable doesnt move for that quarter inch then you have only idle fluid pressure and 200hp to cope with. = toasted clutches. I rebuild more 700r4s than any other transmission - all have toasted 3rd clutches. 3rd is most used and more stressed and its a complex hydraulic circuit with lots of leak points so it suffers first if pressure is low.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh yeah. 1/4 will make a difference for sure. I'd make changes at like 2 threads at a time or say 1/16th of an inch.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Thank you all so much for your advice, Ill keep you posted

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That bracket looks too close to the carb. Mine has what I can tell a modified stock bracket, but it is bolted down with the last two manifold bolts on the driver's side. It also wraps around the back of the cylinder head and is bolted there as well.

To me it looks as though that bracket is bolted using the next set of manifold bolts forward. If it would Help I can snap a picture of mine well as best as I can.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
That bracket looks too close to the carb. Mine has what I can tell a modified stock bracket, but it is bolted down with the last two manifold bolts on the driver's side. It also wraps around the back of the cylinder head and is bolted there as well.

To me it looks as though that bracket is bolted using the next set of manifold bolts forward. If it would Help I can snap a picture of mine well as best as I can.
I'd appreciate that

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Here is a good drawing. It looks wrong with th350 bracket.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd appreciate that

It almost looks identical to mine except it doesent have the end part which goes around the head. That part bolts to the piece you do have. But the piece you have like i said should definately be farther back on the manifold. That tv cable should be taut but not tight sorta like a guitar string, it has some give in its rested and sitting position.

Edit: I'll pull my air cleaner and snap a few here in an hour or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS