Rear drum brake hot and screaming.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Just did the rear axle. New bearings left and right, new seals, new drums (old ones could not be turned again - 40 years old.....), new wheel cylinders, shoes were still good and re-used. Springs, brace etc. all good and re-used. E-Brake cables good, working and release fully. Adjuster working.

Now - right drum ok and working properly. Left drum getting hot and - when warming up - gives a loud squeaking-growling noise. No dragging or locking up.

All checked and cleaned. Put together again - a few days later - started again. Tried to re-adjust by backing up and hitting the brakes. Worked a few days - then again growling-sequaking noise and hot. Hot enough to not put your bare hand on it.

Checked the parking brake cable. All good. Checked the proportioning valve and bled the system. All good.

Anyone with an idea what may have happened? Should I test new shoes? This would be the last Thing I have not tried yet.....

Any idea is really appreciated.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Check your drum and shoe width. Light duty brakes are 2" and HD are 2 1/4". If you were sold a LD drum and put it over HD shoes, it will fit but pinch the shoe when you torque the lug nuts.

Advance sold me two drums, same supplier, same part number...but not the same drums!

Other than a hung/sticky wheel cylinder, everything else I can think of would affect both sides.

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Check your drum and shoe width. Light duty brakes are 2" and HD are 2 1/4". If you were sold a LD drum and put it over HD shoes, it will fit but pinch the shoe when you torque the lug nuts.

Advance sold me two drums, same supplier, same part number...but not the same drums!

Other than a hung/sticky wheel cylinder, everything else I can think of would affect both sides.

Good Point. It came original with the HD RPO. I ordered HD drums.

OK. Another session....

Only cool point - with opening the drums every three days they`ll never rust-lock. o_O

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Only cool point - with opening the drums every three days they`ll never rust-lock. o_O

Except lugs and studs are wear items and you have now used 50% of their life!

haha, better buy new studs and keep them handy. (insert a fitting humorous emoji here)

:cheers:

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Except lugs and studs are wear items and you have now used 50% of their life!

haha, better buy new studs and keep them handy. (insert a fitting humorous emoji here)

:cheers:

Lugs and studs are among the few commodities available here in EU.

I'm least worried. :)

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well I never would have changed the drums without changing the shoes no matter what they looked like. I would also check that left drum for being out of round. highdesertranger

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
well I never would have changed the drums without changing the shoes no matter what they looked like. I would also check that left drum for being out of round. highdesertranger

Yeah - changed the shoes this Weekend. Got worse and worse. Now: Silence. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20