Random Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a random wire&plug just laying next to the fuse box. Everything on the truck works. The only thing that is gone is the "computer" that was cut out when the early 70s block was swapped in. That includes all the emissions stuff (EFE, EGR etc) Anyway here is the wire: PS. don't give me a link to wiring diagrams...

You must be registered for see images attach

Second question is how do you get the DUAL tank dash switch off? I can't get my big sausage fingers up there to get the clip, ducting and courtesy lights in the way.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do`nt know about the wire but,the courtesy light is held on by one screw,if I remember correctly and that duct that runs across it all I think has but one screw in it toooo.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I'm not certain on the function of that wire, but in obd1 days not all of the diagnostic connections were in one neat little connection. So it could be a testing wire or it could be for an option that was not installed on your truck.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If we tell you what that wire is for we'll have to kill ya.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That LOOKS like it may be a AC clutch activation wire for testing purposes.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Wait a minute, its a test wire for the Trans converter clutch...for lockup testing.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wait a minute, its a test wire for the Trans converter clutch...for lockup testing.

Oh cool! Does that bypass the vacuum switch then? I wonder if an '84 has that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Cool, I can go test the L/U TC in the '89 now. :rolleyes:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hook it to a switch,when pulling hills,turn on the switch,like shifting down a gear,add a bit more torque and might keep the transmission from shifting down to third.
I want to hook a switch to Mine TC lockup just for that purpose,but,I havent done any research to see if that might/would kill the sungears in the overdrive unit of My transmixer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have the same wire and connector on the 85 K1500. I noticed it when I was playing with the fuse block while diagnosing power windows.

Would be good to know for certain what it is, and it's converter lock up and bypasses the Vac Switch on Pre TBI models, that would be cool. I ever get a 700r4 installed, I'd hook up a push button activation switch to that dude.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
this is an 83 with 700r4 so it could be it. I doesn't show up on any wiring diagrams which is why I asked.

The truck never goes above 55 up here so I don't know how well TC lockup works anyway.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I would go at it with a continuity tester first, regardless of what the digrams say...you can follow it out of the firewall cavity. When my 86 was still oem, that connector was by the brake booster.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
it doesn't go out the firewall. It comes out by itself in a Y split that is still factory wrapped so I have no idea where it goes.

My real concern right now is the dual tanks. The AUX tank is completely empty, I flipped the switch with the key in the RUN position and the needle didn't even move. I assume that it didn't switch at all so I was going to start at the dash switch and work my way back to the tank. I've heard that if the selector valve fails then it defaults to the passenger side tank, well mine is on the drivers so that makes me think it is still good...just the dash switch is bad.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
it doesn't go out the firewall. It comes out by itself in a Y split that is still factory wrapped so I have no idea where it goes.

My real concern right now is the dual tanks. The AUX tank is completely empty, I flipped the switch with the key in the RUN position and the needle didn't even move. I assume that it didn't switch at all so I was going to start at the dash switch and work my way back to the tank. I've heard that if the selector valve fails then it defaults to the passenger side tank, well mine is on the drivers so that makes me think it is still good...just the dash switch is bad.

Yeah, that green wire has nothing to do with the tanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuars