random steering "pop"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
so this only happens like once in a while. when im turning either way, no matter if its all the way or just a little. I hear and feel (in the steering wheel) a slight pop. its like my truck is cracking its knuckles. thanks guys

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Sounds like a worn ball joint too me

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
hmmm k. any way to visually inspect them?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd look REALLY close at the frame, where the steering box bolts up. Really try to look in there at all angles, make sure you don't see cracks in the frame that need repaired.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
oooh ok thanks bucket! i'll look in the morning 4 sure

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Check if they have any grease in em, you'll see a rubber cap that holds the grease in, its in-between the axle and knuckle, if its blown out replace em, also jack up either front tire one at a time and grab the tire and give it a shake if it moves excessively and doesn't feel tight then its done, what bucket has said is also something that's needs a good looking over, hope it helps

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
just did the front brakes and i did try the wheel shake thing. Nice and stout

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Shiat then as bucket said could be a frame issue did you check all your, shackles and u bolts, I remember reading somewhere that they're prone to cracking where the steering box mounts, don't take my word for it but also believe lmc truck sells a brace to fix the problem

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
well ive spent a lot of time up close on every inch of my truck and have never noticed any cracks in the frame. Although most the time Ive learned you dont quite see something till youre actually looking for it. so I'll just do some nice inspection on the whole front end tomorrow and report back.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
well ive spent a lot of time up close on every inch of my truck and have never noticed any cracks in the frame. Although most the time Ive learned you dont quite see something till youre actually looking for it. so I'll just do some nice inspection on the whole front end tomorrow and report back.

It's also very helpful to have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth to help you see things with excessive slop.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My Burb does the same thing.
I can feel it through the floor, I think I have it narrowed it down to the leaf spring bushings.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd look REALLY close at the frame, where the steering box bolts up. Really try to look in there at all angles, make sure you don't see cracks in the frame that need repaired.

Exactly my thoughts to check first. There is a repair kit for when and if this happens. It's somewhat common.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I to had a popping noise a while back when turnning , but only once in a while , it turned out to be a broken leaf spring centering pin. (just another thing to look at) , You can put some grease on bolth side's of the top plate and drive it around for a day or so and if you see movement in the grease , you have a problem.

SierraClassic4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500
Engine Size
It's most likely the sway bar bushings. If they are gone then the metal on metal pops sometimes when the weight transfers from one side to the other while turning at slow speeds.

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
same issue with mine, however, I know my probs:
Pitman arm and related ball joint. When this wears out, the joint rests at an extreme angle, and "catches" in one position. During turns, or when it gets wet, it will "pop" to another extreme angle and hold there. (best way to test, jack up the front end, remove the castle nut and remove the tie rod. Slip a Deepwell socket (with ratchet attached, for leverage) over the stud and try to move the stud around. If no movement at all (all your might), it moves too freely (don't sneeze), or if you feel a hard grinding (not the smexy kind), its time to swap it.
Leaf Spring bushings: when these wear out, it allows travel of the leaf spring "Loops", both up and down, and left to right
as Clint mentioned, sway bar bushingS as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06