Quickfuel vs Holley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
I need some helpe deciding on a carb for my 383 stroker that I just built! Should I go with Holley or quick fuel the carb

Quickfuel slayer series Sl-600-VS Carburetor, Slayer Series, 600 cfm, Square Bore, Vacuum Secondary, Electric Choke, Polished, Each

Holley 600 CFM Street Warrior Carburetor, Upgraded to a 1 Year Warranty. Street Warrior comes standard with Electric Choke, Vacuum Secondaries, and a new integrated 700R4/200R4 compatible throttle lever.

please help, I'm new to carbs!

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd say Holley because I would argue Holley is a more universal, household brand so you'll probably know more people who can help you if needed, and Holley has good support on YouTube and over the phone. Plus, it already has your geometry correction for your overdrive tranny so you can just pop the cable on and go. I'm just gonna say this, though. You know what else does all the same stuff and more than that Holley? A Rochester Quadrajet with an electric choke heater.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
A Rochester Quadrajet with an electric choke heater.[/QUOTE]

Where would I find one of these? My neighbor has a quickfuel carb and loves it. He literally like 4 houses down and he offers to help me with everything. Idontsee a problem with support or anything

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
A Rochester Quadrajet with an electric choke heater.

Where would I find one of these? My neighbor has a quickfuel carb and loves it. He literally like 4 houses down and he offers to help me with everything. Idontsee a problem with support or anything[/QUOTE]

I gotcha. I've only heard of them. I've never seen anyone run one around here. I can't say it's a regional thing because we're relatively close. You can find Quadrajets on eBay rebuilt or as rebuildable cores. I'm sure @Quadrajet Power sells them, and I know Mountain Man Fuel Systems in Arkansas does, too, when they have them in stock. There are a few on Craigslist and junkyards also. I can find you a core and send it to you for the price of the core plus shipping if you wanted, but if you could find one, that would be better economically. That's what GM put on their cars and trucks from 1965-1990. It's a pretty cool 750 (800 on motorhomes) CFM carburetor. The curb idle mixture, fast idle, and idle speed adjustments are not as in your face in terms of accessibility as an aftermarket carb, but there's a lot of good literature on the web that can tell you more than I can. Back to your previous options, I still like that the geometry correction kit is preinstalled on the Holley so that's not something you have to worry about. I've not worked on the Quick Fuel so I can't speak to its attributes.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
Where would I find one of these? My neighbor has a quickfuel carb and loves it. He literally like 4 houses down and he offers to help me with everything. Idontsee a problem with support or anything

I gotcha. I've only heard of them. I've never seen anyone run one around here. I can't say it's a regional thing because we're relatively close. You can find Quadrajets on eBay rebuilt or as rebuildable cores. I'm sure @Quadrajet Power sells them, and I know Mountain Man Fuel Systems in Arkansas does, too, when they have them in stock. There are a few on Craigslist and junkyards also. I can find you a core and send it to you for the price of the core plus shipping if you wanted, but if you could find one, that would be better economically. That's what GM put on their cars and trucks from 1965-1990. It's a pretty cool 750 (800 on motorhomes) CFM carburetor. The curb idle mixture, fast idle, and idle speed adjustments are not as in your face in terms of accessibility as an aftermarket carb, but there's a lot of good literature on the web that can tell you more than I can. Back to your previous options, I still like that the geometry correction kit is preinstalled on the Holley so that's not something you have to worry about. I've not worked on the Quick Fuel so I can't speak to its attributes.[/QUOTE]
Alright, thanks for your help!

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Thanks for the mention.
I do sell Quadrajets with electric choke element. Many of the late 70's early 80's Chevy Quadrajets were hot air, or electric choke. The hot air units have choke mounted on side of carb and can be converted to electric element. I do a lot of these for people wanting a custom built carb with good choke function.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I wouldn't begin to consider a 600 for a 383.
At least look at the Holley SA670 or even 770. I run a 670 on my 362. 4779 is a popular carb except for the street - in a daily, I wouldn't run mechanical choke/secondaries. Try 3310 .
There is a "formula" to determine how big a carb is required....somewhere .
I'm a Holley fan running a Quadrajet ATM.. No experience with quickfuel carbs, but I know they don't come stock on famous Chevrolet muscle cars of legend, so they can't be THAT great. :D :p :)

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree with Rusty, a Street Avenger 670 or 770 would be a good choice. I'm a Holley fan too.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
Thanks for the mention.
I do sell Quadrajets with electric choke element. Many of the late 70's early 80's Chevy Quadrajets were hot air, or electric choke. The hot air units have choke mounted on side of carb and can be converted to electric element. I do a lot of these for people wanting a custom built carb with good choke function.

How much for a carb?

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
I wouldn't begin to consider a 600 for a 383.
At least look at the Holley SA670 or even 770. I run a 670 on my 362. 4779 is a popular carb except for the street - in a daily, I wouldn't run mechanical choke/secondaries. Try 3310 .
There is a "formula" to determine how big a carb is required....somewhere .
I'm a Holley fan running a Quadrajet ATM.. No experience with quickfuel carbs, but I know they don't come stock on famous Chevrolet muscle cars of legend, so they can't be THAT great. :D :p :)

Quickfuel is basically made by guys that worked at Holley, from what I've been told the ethanol eats away the zinc in Holley carbs. This won't happen in quickfuel my neighbor is running one and he loves it, he started out with a Holley and switched! And after looking further I'm looking at a 650 cfm HR-Series Carburetor 650cfm with mechanical secondary, the exact carb my neighbor is running! Why would I want vacuum secondary?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles...ons.html&title=10+Common+Carburetor+Questions

Vacuum secondary carburetors work for nearly any vehicle from light-weight to heavy. They are more forgiving because the secondaries open based on engine load. Mechanical secondary carburetors (aka Double Pumpers®) work best on a light-weight car with a manual transmission or an automatic with a high stall and low rear-end gears. Mechanical secondaries means your foot controls the opening of the secondary throttle blades.

A Holley SA 770 is a serious ******* carburetor...I want to remove that from the options but I will suggest a 4777 in it's place so there are still three.
[yt]dLBx3g8cowY[/yt]
Given zero info of your engine/ parts, budget, vehicle, or it's intended function, it's moot choice to continue this diatribe.

Behold! The innerwebz. Click this link and tell me that ain't funny.

https://www.google.com/search?q=I+n...ms-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Quickfuel is likely Ethanol approved. The new Hollies maybe too. I'd certainly find out and make that part of your decision.

Quickfuel would probably be my choice, but if you're running a 700r4 and the Holley is already set up with the correct geometry, knowing how critical the geometry is so a 700r4 lives, that would be a huge factor too and might be just enough to tip the scale and go with the Holley.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can use any Holley carb, when you freshen it up make sure you get a kit that's made for Ethanol fuel and you're good to go.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I don't understand, people actually buy ethanol still? It's still sold? Why does the government subsidize corn so heavily?
Why is "high fructose corn syrup" in EVERYTHING and what does that have to do with Ethanol? WTF is that anyway?
I don't know about you guys, but my truck burns GASOLINE and lots of it.
Ethanol is not worthy of consideration :imo:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Can't hardly get ethanol free gas anymore, and when you do it's 92 octane and expensive, got one station here and it's $3.75 a gal..:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76