Questions on broken np205

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I found a truck I am considering to buy and it has some issues that I was hoping someone here would have some insight on. The owner says that the adapter plate between the trans and tcase is broken, along with the driveshaft adapter. I know it is a sm465 and i believe it is a np205 from the pictures he sent me. By driveshaft adapter he means the housing on the rear output that is held on by 5 bolts. First off, what could one do to break these? Should I look into something else that could've gotten f'ed up when this happened? are these parts easy to find used? or would I be better off looking for a entire different trans/tcase? Are these parts specific to a sm465/np205 combo or is there something else that would work? Thanks for any input.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Might find one on ebay.
They are, trans to T-case, specific.
Any number of misuse/abuse can bust the adapters, maybe even loose bolts.

86chev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What about the housing around the rear output shaft? would one off any 205 work? I suppose maybe if the adapter broke it could lead to that housing breaking if the truck was moving

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Truck was probably jumped, both driveshafts overcompressed and rear shaft broke the slip yoke housing and front shaft kicked case sideways breaking the adapter. I would offer him $20, it would probably still be good for a few parts.

86chev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I asked the owner and he said that it is because a ujoint broke which i dont believe at all. it's a shame because i really would like the truck. i'm just not sure if i want to drive 2 hours one way to look at a used up pile of parts.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Your in Wisconsin, up here if the body isn't rusted out everything else is easily replaced. If you do go look at it I would look carefully at the frame, the sm465 and np205 are really tuff parts so it takes some serious abuse to break them.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was thinking it took something like a jump to bust them adapters.
A friends son busted one, would`nt admit to it until pops passed on, he thought it was pretty funny, I felt like punchin the bastard.

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
I have heard of people breaking the rear housing on the t-case before just from breaking a u-joint. They are doing truck pulling and thats all they use it for. They put on a billet rear housing cover or whatever you want to call it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee