Quadrajet electric choke problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi, I just installed a 1977 400 in place of my worn out 305 in a k10, I fired truck up for 1st time today but the elec choke never opened up ,has 12 volts to choke, had to hold flaps open in order for truck to stay running, the carb part number is 17086226 0463 fkc. My question is do all electric choke models have a front vacuum pullback , mine has nothing, am I missing this, there are 2 screw holes on front and top of carb.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Do you mean 17056226? I don't see a 17086226.

Post a picture of passenger side pull offs. If you have the rear mount vacuum brake with 2 rods, you wouldn't need the front unit.

If your choke moves some when warm, you would need to re adjust the choke to full open when warm. If it doesn't move at all, replace the choke element.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you mean 17056226? I don't see a 17086226.

Post a picture of passenger side pull offs. If you have the rear mount vacuum brake with 2 rods, you wouldn't need the front unit.

If your choke moves some when warm, you would need to re adjust the choke to full open when warm. If it doesn't move at all, replace the choke element.

Thanks I will post a pic tomorrow, sorry your right ,carb is 17056226

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
From my notes, the 17056226 should only have the front vacuum brake pull off. You may have a reman carb where parts don't match original. Hope not, but the pictures will help.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
From my notes, the 17056226 should only have the front vacuum brake pull off. You may have a reman carb where parts don't match original. Hope not, but the pictures will help.

Hi, I went out thismorning where I have truck stored and took a magnifying glass and looked at carb number, it is 17086226 for sure. Can see the numbers perfectly, my son read the numbers the other day and wasn't sure if he read them right, but the carb is a 17086226. It has a green colored rod on top that hooks to the large rear plates on rear of carb and a lower black rod that hooks to elec choke and to rear vacuum pulloff, pictures will come later this afternoon.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Ok. Then if the rear pull off has the two rods connected, you don't need the front vacuum unit. The screw mount holes are there, but it isn't needed. That bottom black rod is connected to choke mechanism and works as the pull off. Green rod connected to air valves works as the vacuum brake.
With engine running, that vacuum unit should retract, if not, it would need replaced. We have them in stock.

And, on you electric choke unit, adjust it to full open when warm. If it isn't moving when warm, we have new units available.

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Quadrajet power, thanks for info I will check things out and see what i need.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I took a couple pics of choke . Checked for 12 volts on wire, good, tried rotating cover, takes about ten minutes until choke opens 1/4 of the way, choke light stays on unless u unplug wire from choke then it goes out. Also rear vacuum pullback does not move whatsoever ,weather it's idling or revved up? Sucked on hose can't get any movement from rear vacuum pullback. Sorry can't get pictures to upload correctly but the one that did , the choke plates only opened that far after 15 min of running time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 134

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64