Q-jet rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Looking to rebuild the qjet on the k5 and was wondering of any tips or tricks on rebuilding em. I know I have read and seen people drill the base plate iirc and putting a bushings in to stop fuel leaking from the butterfly rod. Any other things to do and any advice.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Some nice tips in this article http://www.carcraft.com/howto/57178/ most notably where to epoxy the leak-down prone areas.

When doing a rebuild on a Qjet and it comes time to disconnect the accelerator pump arm and linkage,I drive the roll pin that is through the body and accel. pump arm,drive it through far enough to release the arm but not so far that a screw driver can`t be placed between the pin and air horn to push it back through upon reassembly.thats all.well,take a few real cood pics. of the mass of linkage before disasembling.now,thats all.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Good idea.....I did mine recently, and it had been a long time since I touched a qjet. I dicked around with the fast idle stuff for 30mins unnecessarily....LOL

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good idea.....I did mine recently, and it had been a long time since I touched a qjet. I dicked around with the fast idle stuff for 30mins unnecessarily....LOL

Years ago I was sent to a training school and the items on the agenda was the "NEW" Delco HEI ignition systems,the Delco internal alternators and the Q jet carbs,it has been a lot of years since that schooling but it seems that I did`nt forget that training,I do stumble on the linkeages and the adjustments but that is why they send them instruction sheets along,if followed in order then that takes out a lot of the pain.It seems that IF I take some time out and read that sheet from top to bottom before removing even one screw then it jars them dead brain cells back to life,well,some of them any how,and it makes the rebuild process much easier,adjustments too.
Them old "Motors" manuals are invaluable for setting up and adjustments.
On the choke pull off I use a drill bit to measure how far the choke will pull open with the vacuum pump hooked to the dashpot since I dont own an angle guage,I thinking it was a 5/8ths inch drill bit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666