propane in a 84 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishmaster

Reaction score
First Name
marshal
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
hey ya'll i'm thinking about putting a propane system in my 1984 gmc with the 6.2 in it. I have read in some other forums that the propane really doesn't work unless you have a turbo. Is there anyone that is doing this or that knows anyone that is doing this that can help me out?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I've seen quite a few gassers with a propane conversion, haven't seen any diesels. In my opinion Im not sure if it will work or not. Depends what shape your motor is in, if it's worn out with lower compression odds are it might not work,but if you can get it to work I don't think you'll see a huge amount of gain(other than running on propane) unless you turbo it also. Just my opinion.

I've always wanted to get a 6.2 and turbo it!

fishmaster

Reaction score
First Name
marshal
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
my motor is in really great condition it only has 97k miles on it, and everything on it is in good condition. Do you think if i just ran a basic hookup into the air intake i would get more mileage outta my fuel, and maybe some more hp? cause it would burn hotter and burn the fuel better don't you think?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
hate to say this but your wasting your time, put a turbo kit from a 6.5, turn the IP up 1/8 turn, put marine injectors, and buy some gauges

that's really all you can do performance wise to a 6.2 diesel that's worth your time

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Propane probably might not work on diesel, with injectors.
I think that without the liquid of the diesel, there might not be enough to create the proper pressures in the fueling system for the injectors to function properly.
That is just My theory though.
Might be someone else with a bit more knowledge than I be a chiming in.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
propane injection is like nitrous on a gasser except its for low end. hes not replacing diesel with propane just injecting it.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
propane injection is like nitrous on a gasser except its for low end. hes not replacing diesel with propane just injecting it.

There is a propane place here in town that is setting up propane injection on semis. Claiming better mpg. I don't know how true it is, but the guy that owns the propane place also owns a trucking company and has it on all his rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
propane will give you a boost in fuel economy but really only in a turbo application. propane is a higher octane than diesel so it will burn slower and longer causing the diesel to burn more thoroughly. therefore getting you better mpg's and increased power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB