Powersteering pump trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Hey, can anyone explain to me why all these auto part stores have all these powersteering pumps for 1977 k10 with the 350 but how they all have smooth pulley shafts. I just pulled my pump off the truck and the shaft has a threaded end where a nut holds the pulley on and 1 spline on the shaft where the pulley locks into. Will this pulley with the groove work on the smooth shafted ones from the auto parts store or will I have to order one with threads from online.

Joshua Van

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
V8
I don't know, go eat your burrito somewhere else

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey, can anyone explain to me why all these auto part stores have all these powersteering pumps for 1977 k10 with the 350 but how they all have smooth pulley shafts. I just pulled my pump off the truck and the shaft has a threaded end where a nut holds the pulley on and 1 spline on the shaft where the pulley locks into. Will this pulley with the groove work on the smooth shafted ones from the auto parts store or will I have to order one with threads from online.

Your truck has a pump from an earlier small block. In the early 70's, 1972 I think, GM switched from the key drive pump shaft to a press fit.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The old pulley IIRC had a different diameter as well as the keyway etc. You will need either a new pump or a new pulley. id suggest getting a pump for a 1977, which has SAE fittings like your truck has now and a pressed on pulley like most saginaw pumps. nothing wrong with the old kind but they are not the majority for sure.
i have a 1972 engine with that kind i presume, i havent looked at it close but it was pre hei too but has pcv, puts in in that era with the code date saying 72. 1975 gm model vehicles and newer should have the press fit. the 1980 model year saw the threaded connection to the ps gear, so high pressure, go to metric instead of SAE. the fittings can be changed from pump to pump(as does its flow and pressure characteristics) to allow swapping between eras. if you do change pumps, but your reservoir has an incompatible opening for your return line, you can change the reservoir with a cheap seal kit and a way to get it off and press it on. id say boneyard a good pump with a pulley the same size and offset as yours. your engine may have a very flush pulley that fits close to the pump where as some newer ones had double belt accomdation and set the pump in different places and to have more belts moved them in or out.

here is some pumps, 1 of them is Metric the rest are SAE pressed
You must be registered for see images attach

the last one is hard to see but passed rad hose is where pump is

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
u have an early years style pump.. your 77 was factory later smooth shaft with some thread and hex shape inside the shaft end. non-bolted style pulley. if you are replacing pump then you can swap all your brackets onto a press on style shaft pulley pump after you remove the pulley out of the way so you can get to the bolts and remove them from the pump housing.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
The pump I ordered came and I got it installed, got lines hooked up got a new belt, and attempted to bleed it (lifted in the air and turned the wheels lock to lock with the cap off. The bubbles never stopped and for some reason the pump is just not working at all. No powersteering whatsoever. Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
The pump I ordered came and I got it installed, got lines hooked up got a new belt, and attempted to bleed it (lifted in the air and turned the wheels lock to lock with the cap off. The bubbles never stopped and for some reason the pump is just not working at all. No powersteering whatsoever. Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

How long have you ran it with it installed on the block and the cap on...

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I ran it for a few minutes

Ive had a pump completely apart recently to modify the reservoir. The lines were disconnected as well so no fluid in the system at all. I put the pump on along with the lines, filled the reservoir and cranked the truck. I didnt bleed anything and when I turned the wheel the first time it engaged and never made a sound. If all is working properly there should be no delay really.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I guess I've been hanging out here at GMSB a while now.

Was scrolling through this thread and saw pictures of what looked like random piles of rusty-but-useable Chevy parts, and just naturally thought, "Oh, looks like an AuroraGirl post!" Scrolled back and --> Lo! and Behold!

Never change, AG!

BRetty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli