Power window /lock wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
First time here. Me and my son are putting doors from a 86 on his 79 without power. The 86 power doors were already off the truck. The wires were unplugged right out of the rubber boot. I can't find another truck with a harness to rob. Can I just run hot wires from the fuse panel? If so does anyone know which wires to tie together? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. Steve

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm sure some one here has their left over harness from when they converted to manual windows. I myself wish I didn't have power. While you are at it, you should do the relay mod so that those power window mirrors actually get 12v and run like lightning.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah, you run hot wires to each system - from either a BAT (unswitched) or IGN (switched) supply.

Which one you use depends on whether you want the particular system to be operable without having to turn the key (or even having the keys).

I could see the wisdom in running the power windows straight off the battery. Like if it starts raining and you run out to roll them up - and DUH - you forgot the keys. So, as far as the power windows being hot all the time, it probably doesn't matter.

On the other hand, running the power locks off the battery - not so smart. For obvious reasons, you probably want to avoid locking the doors without the having the igntion key in your possesion.

The power windows can be spliced together as in the wiring diagram below (the middle section of the harness that you are missing really only acts as a big long splice). Just tee off the common hot lead (2 mil pink wire) and run that over to the fuse block.

The power locks can be similarly spliced and fed from the fuse block on the orange/black hot wire. However the lock system incorporates a relay between the two side of the harness. This allows both lock motors to be operated at the same time and from either side.

The power windows don't use a relay. Each side (driver's & passenger's) has it's own switch for local operation only - and the driver's side has an additional switch that allows the driver to operate the passenger side window remotely.

To make the power locks operate as designed you will need to have that relay.

One other thing worth mentioning; the power to the locks can be run through a normal fuse for over-current protection, but the window circuit should be protected by a circuit breaker instead of a fuse.

Apparently this is due to the fact that the window circuit can often draw excessive amperage and blow the fuse (if your kid's head gets stuck while rolling the widow up for example). Rather than having to scramble around trying to locate a spare fuse - with your kid screaming his head off and police showing up, etc - you just have to wait a minute or so. After a short period the breaker cools off and resets. At that point you an roll the window down and release the child's head.

Wiring diagram:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks heading out to garage to try and wire this thing.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The window motors have a built in circuit breaker, at least on the later models.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I think they all do - have breakers in the window motors. But the factory spec still calls for a 30 amp breaker at the fuse block as well:

You must be registered for see images attach

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Got it rough wired and they are working. Will tidy up later. Thanks for all the help

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB Steve. Glad you got it working. Don't be afraid to hangout, or at least have your son hangout. There is alot to learn here. If he want's, visit the Under Construction section and start a thread about his truck. A great way to document his progress and get help, suggestions and opinions along the way.

And of course there's usually some other interesting discussion going in the forum somewhere too other than just Squarebody trucks.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yes, I have the stuff to do this to mine, but my new jeep zj is taking my mod money.

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I will do the relay later. They are pretty fast now. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members