power steering fluid or atf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I've known Furd Hydroboost systems fail because people used ATF in them.

I've known my hydroboost system to fail from using ATF.

Factory install was ATF and the hydroboost leaked into the cab. Replaced the hydroboost and it failed again. Third one got PS fluid and it's still in the truck 30+ years later.

BTW, the manual specifies Dexron. No mention of PS fluid.

If I had the option I would use PS fluid. But if the system already has ATF in it, and most of them do, I wouldn't mix and match.

On a side note, my carpet and backing is now thoroughly soaked in oil, which may have something to do with why I still have a floor.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
On a side note, my carpet and backing is now thoroughly soaked in oil, which may have something to do with why I still have a floor.

Wow hilarious!. I laughed out loud. :D:)

@Turbo4whl what have you got on spark advance? Any help there Pal?
:confused:
Lmmfao

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Lets debate manifold or timed vacuum advance
Or
Brass vs aluminum radiators

We're all friends this is one reason why.
[/MEDIA]
I completely agree. We all have different view points and experiences but at the end of the day remain friends. And I have to admit I'm bad at getting involved in the debates. I can't simply state my thoughts and walk away.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Various GM cars Ive had called for PS fluid or a dexron II or Dexron III ATF(depending on year). Ive had zero troubles with using either or, personally. However, I had issues with fluids that come with stop leak or mixing ATF and PS fluid, especially with stop leak PS fluid.

2001 Olds Aurora - after all said and done replacing a ton of ps components, ran ATF (dexron III) and it was beautiful and quiet.
1990 Olds 88 - after all said and done replacing a ton of PS components, ran PS fluid(NO STOP LEAK) and it was beautiful and quiet.

1999 buick park avenue, running ATF and learning that there was plenty of stop leak in its history... atf is a cleaner. And stop leak comes out with it. Sticking valves galore, Ive flushed it 8 times now from just the reservoir and fill it up with fresh fluid, days later its full of ****. Mostly gooey. Stop leak. Im likely gonna have a leaking rack at the end, but id rather replace a rack than have a ps system with sticky valves and works 1/3 of the time.

Replaced fluid in my square with ATF. Found it was full of metal debris and stop leak. Flushed twice(once at high pressure hose, once since) and its clean and works great now, no leaks. Hopefully the metal wasnt something from pump or other... it had no cap for a few years, hoping it was outside... we will see. Hopefully not from gear. Going to install a filter inline return

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Then why bother?
I come here lookin to vent. Talk a little ****... check out some cool trucks and truck parts..maybe learn somethin or somebody.

AND they let ya in for free!

You can even say ****!
How about **** figgity **** ****?
See?

This place is rad and for sure where the cool kids hang out. Us squarebody weirdos gotta stick together. No body hangs out with ******* that agree with them all the time...thats no fun.

If I didnt want to work on and fight with and waste money in the truck, I would buy something plastic under warranty but everybody in here likes taking **** in some form. Lol :poop:

Its entertainment!

Hell man, i get to rambling on and dont care one tiny miserable speck. Youll read it if you want to but in the end, i'm only here for my benefit. No shame. Sometimes .... it has very little to do with trucks. Haha:(

*see?! Even @AuroraGirl is a glutton for punishment. Perfect example, thank you!
:baby:

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Then why bother?
I come here lookin to vent. Talk a little ****... check out some cool trucks and truck parts..maybe learn somethin or somebody.

AND they let ya in for free!

You can even say ****!
How about **** figgity **** ****?
See?

This place is rad and for sure where the cool kids hang out. Us squarebody weirdos gotta stick together. No body hangs out with ******* that agree with them all the time...thats no fun.

If I didnt want to work on and fight with and waste money on the truck, I would buy something under warranty but everybody in here likes taking **** in some form. Lol :poop:

Its entertainment!

Hell man, i get to rambling on and dont care one tiny miserable speck. Youll read it if you want to but in the end, i'm only here for my benefit. No shame.
We would all be lying to say we are here soley for the cause of others. Even that is selfish in its own way. Best we can do is circlejerk and reach around to assure mutual pleasure and feelings of emptiness, I mean completeness.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Wow hilarious!. I laughed out loud. :D:)

@Turbo4whl what have you got on spark advance? Any help there Pal?
:confused:
Lmmfao

No real help. Back in the day we had a Sun distributor machine. The 1/4 mile drag motor heads knew what was needed, quicker advance. Buy a spring and weight kit and mix and match the parts until the curve was correct. I sure don't remember the numbers.

What I do remember, on the old non HEI units, pull the nylon bushing off the advance plate and replace it with the bronze bushing in the spring kit. Dwell 28-32 degree, set it at 28. Set the initial timing after setting the dwell.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No real help. Back in the day we had a Sun distributor machine. The 1/4 mile drag motor heads knew what was needed, quicker advance. Buy a spring and weight kit and mix and match the parts until the curve was correct. I sure don't remember the numbers.

What I do remember, on the old non HEI units, pull the nylon bushing off the advance plate and replace it with the bronze bushing in the spring kit. Dwell 28-32 degree, set it at 28. Set the initial timing after setting the dwell.
The ancient texts mention this word 'dwell' perhaps it is some lost art that has been perserved only in the minds of prophets?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Let's not dwell on this shall we?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, not too fast for too long anyways.;)
Let's just get it over with so we can wrap it up real quick.

It's all your fault Rusty, you asked. Besides, anyone with a '73 or '74 square, it was built with a point distributor. If you wanted to keep it all original.... just sayin'

You must be registered for see images attach

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
If what you have in there is red it's ATF. If it's clear it's PS fluid. If you don't have a hydroboost probably just match what you have. If you have hydroboost you need to use PS fluid.
agree! mine got a HB and when i made my LS swap the newer power steering pump got PS fluid and i fill in with ATF and it was bad..sometime loosing my brake and my power steering so i flush it all out and put back new PS fluid and now everything work fine! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64