power steering fluid or atf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

American_justice

Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 83 c10, just need to fill her up. it doesn't have any kinda indication on the lid and I don't have a manual. I know either should work, I'm just curious if one is actually recommended over the other

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
GM used automatic trans fluid.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
If what you have in there is red it's ATF. If it's clear it's PS fluid. If you don't have a hydroboost probably just match what you have. If you have hydroboost you need to use PS fluid.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
It's really hard to bleed the system with atf, because air makes it foam, and it takes a while to return to liquid. Adding ps fluid to an airbled pump will work, but starting off dry is a real bitch. PS fluid doesn't foam like tranny oil.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You may well get a TON of different opinions here. I've always run ATF on older GM's without hydroboost, but matching what is in there is a good idea. Specifically I'd use dextron III, this has been my thinking, back in 83 dextron II was a conventional fluid, and while Dextron III started out as conventional the later versions are a blend, dextron IV and up are synthetic. I bring this up because synthetic can be more prone to leaking especially in an older system that my already be seeping a bit, so I'd go with Dex III.

It's really hard to bleed the system with atf, because air makes it foam, and it takes a while to return to liquid. Adding ps fluid to an airbled pump will work, but starting off dry is a real bitch. PS fluid doesn't foam like tranny oil.

The trick we use at the shop is to add fluid until the reservoir is full, start the engine for only a second or two, shut off top off, repeat a few times, with the idea being you never run the engine long enough to suck air into the pump. Some guys prefer to disable the ignition and do repeated cranks. We actually do this regardless of fluid type because we find we have fewer pump problem related come backs.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've known Furd Hydroboost systems fail because people used ATF in them.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Also make sure you fully bleed the system. IIRC, GM directions for my truck were to raise the front tires off the ground, and with the engine running and the reservoir full, smoothly move the steering back and forth to a quick full lock position at least 10 times. I did it about 10-20 times and finally got all the air out of the system so I have smooth power assist through the entire range.

Bruce

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think it's funny when people say not to run ATF in a GM power steering system because it's "bad" or "not meant to be there" or other various non-technical reasons. Not trying to single any one person out here, it's just stuff that I've heard many times before. GM designed the system to run on ATF and that's what was put in it originally, so I don't know how that could be the "wrong" fluid for the application.

I personally use ATF since that's what GM used and I've got no gripes about it, and that's one less fluid I have to keep around the house (only GM products here). I've never really had foaming problems with it while trying to bleed a new system. I have always got the front wheels off the ground, then turned the steering lock to lock repeatedly with the engine OFF, then topped off the fluid and started the engine. In the event there is a little foam after it was running, simply let it sit for a minute or so while the foam goes away, then top off the fluid.

If you want to run power steering fluid, that's fine too. I doubt there's any drawbacks to it.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Welllllll, i dont know too much about a lot of thangs but I DID work as a full-service auto mechanic for twelve years repairing anything that came in the shop.
No brand bias, Ferrarri to Briggs and Stratton.

The previous statement was made from those experiences.

I have repaired P/S systems that were erroneously filled with Dex and subsequently ruined.
What I assure you ALL is that if you take your truck into a shop wanting some kind of warranty work performed on the PS system, it left that shop with power steering fluid installed.
If you bring it in for repair full of Dex, you'll get to buy it twice.

:imo: a fool and his money are soon parted.

Dowutchalike but the people that repair cars for living and sign their name to the validity of the repair would never in one million years send a p/s pump in a 40 year old Chevrolet out the door of ANY reputable shop full of dex because it will leak and fail.
You'll buy hoses too.

EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT.

well, everybody else.

Ask your mechanic to fill it with Dex and see what he says. Lol, that's a joke dude, dont put transmission fluid in your power steering pump...they're messin with you. Surely.

Just go buy some. DEX is not an acceptable substitute.

You'll invalidate the warranty, mmmkay?
Some of you may disagree but you know its true. A shop will tell you kick rocks.

Good luck!

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Welllllll, i dont know too much about a lot of thangs but I DID work as a full-service auto mechanic for twelve years repairing anything that came in the shop.
No brand bias, Ferrarri to Briggs and Stratton.

The previous statement was made from those experiences.

I have repaired P/S systems that were erroneously filled with Dex and subsequently ruined.
What I assure you ALL is that if you take your truck into a shop wanting some kind of warranty work performed on the PS system, it left that shop with power steering fluid installed.
If you bring it in for repair full of Dex, you'll get to buy it twice.

:imo: a fool and his money are soon parted.

Dowutchalike but the people that repair cars for living and sign their name to the validity of the repair would never in one million years send a p/s pump in a 40 year old Chevrolet out the door of ANY reputable shop full of dex because it will leak and fail.
You'll buy hoses too.

EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT.

well, everybody else.

Ask your mechanic to fill it with Dex and see what he says. Lol, that's a joke dude, dont put transmission fluid in your power steering pump...they're messin with you. Surely.

Just go buy some. DEX is not an acceptable substitute.

You'll invalidate the warranty, mmmkay?
Some of you may disagree but you know its true. A shop will tell you kick rocks.

Good luck!
I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but at our shop we install whatever fluid the vehicle called for originally and includes ATF, on those that call for it from the factory.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Lets debate manifold or timed vacuum advance
Or
Brass vs aluminum radiators

Theres no difference between radial or bias ply tires by that measure

Times change.
Products update.

What may have worked in the past , doesnt make it the best for today.

The original ps pump for a 40 year old truck is not equal to a new replacement from the parts store that has a lifetime warranty .
Im not convinced you can buy a pump at oreillys that says to put transmission fluid in it.

Mechanics do not want to fix **** for free, youll be hard pressed to find someone willing to do that then sign their name to it.

I dont give a hoot what dude does but i bet he doesnt actually HAVE ANY power steering fluid and is lookin at a quart of dex wanting you guys to tell him thats ok and i will not.

Because it isnt.:imo:

He asked us all which is why he gets different answers. I happen to be a stickler for the rules..no secret.
We're all friends this is one reason why.

Merikkka
:patriot:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Some ps systems recommend auto trans fluid,some recommend power steering fluid.I go by the manufacturer. Or whatever the customer wants to use and accept without a warranty.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Well I waited for some of the replies @SirRobyn0 referred too: "You may well get a TON of different opinions here."

Dexron III has been replaced by Dexron VI by GM and they no longer sell GM brand Dex 3. You may be able to buy it at a parts house, though what I see them selling is DexMerc. This is only good for ruining your trans.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

The label calls out not to use this Dexron in power steering systems. Your old truck could have stated in the owner's manual to use Dexron 3 in the power steering system. Clearly the current Dexrons are not for use in P/S.

Last edited:

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Well, I'm no rocket surgeon by any means but I do my own maintenance and work on my vehicles so I know it is done right. All seems pretty simple to me. The names alone tell me everything I need to know, Power steering fluid would indicate use in power steering and Transmission fluid would indicate use in a transmission. Y'all can pour anything you want in either system and it's all good by me. I personally have never had any problem using the appropriate labeled fluid in the appropriate system and shall continue to do so. JM2 :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76