Post ways to clean rust off of chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Posts ways to clean rust off of chrome: bumpers, wheels, trim/molding, etc.

Here's some that were recommended to me when cleaning rust of my 16.5 chrome rims.

Coke and aluminum foil, mothers chrome polish, neverdull, turtlewax chrome polish, super clean wheel cleaner, oven cleaner w/steel wool pad, brass brush, Noxon 7 and S100 Soap Polish

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
For just surface rust on chrome I use Eagles Never Dull and then Mother's Polish. In order to prevent it from happening in the first place I just polish them on a regular basis and I don't have much issue with it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I doubt this is surface rust.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
:) No, a little Never Dull is not the fix for that although you might give it a shot and see how much does come off and go from there. Another thing I've used in the past is some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound followed by wax and then polish. The rubbing compound seems to work well, too, and will also take out light pitting.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's what one looks like when using oven cleaner and steel wool.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Not bad progress on that! :D Looks pretty darn good to me if it started similar to that other picture :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But the steel wool is gonna scratch the rust huh??? So after you get them clean and shiney can you polish the scratches out?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's a big problem I have. Maybe someone has an answer other than shooting all the dogs. My bestest buddy Harley Dawg, insists on pissing on my tires all the time. My trailer had brand new rims on it. starting to rust now where he pisses. Some of my nicer wheels on the trucks when they were in the backyard have started to rust now where he pissed on them. Anyone know a secret remedy to keep dogs from pissing on wheels?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
But the steel wool is gonna scratch the rust huh??? So after you get them clean and shiney can you polish the scratches out?

Turtle wax rubbing compound might take the scratches out. Might try the noxon 7.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Here's a big problem I have. Maybe someone has an answer other than shooting all the dogs. My bestest buddy Harley Dawg, insists on pissing on my tires all the time. My trailer had brand new rims on it. starting to rust now where he pisses. Some of my nicer wheels on the trucks when they were in the backyard have started to rust now where he pissed on them. Anyone know a secret remedy to keep dogs from pissing on wheels?

Some kind of shock contraption that'll zap him every time he pees on them. Not anything that'll harm him but just enough where he'll learn not to pee on your wheels :D

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
So the other day when I was refinishing my wheel I used some finish remover to get the white epoxy/powdercoat/whatever it is and it worked wonders on that part. Then I thought I would try to use it to remove, or maybe rough up the chrome on the center caps as I considered painting them black as well since they were rusted as hell and nasty looking. To my surprise it didnt affect the chrome at all but removed all the rust and made them shine pretty damn close to new. The stuff I used is in a aerosol can and called TAL-STRIP II, I would try in an inconspicuous spot first just to insure your results aren't different.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So the other day when I was refinishing my wheel I used some finish remover to get the white epoxy/powdercoat/whatever it is and it worked wonders on that part. Then I thought I would try to use it to remove, or maybe rough up the chrome on the center caps as I considered painting them black as well since they were rusted as hell and nasty looking. To my surprise it didnt affect the chrome at all but removed all the rust and made them shine pretty damn close to new. The stuff I used is in a aerosol can and called TAL-STRIP II, I would try in an inconspicuous spot first just to insure your results aren't different.

I think I've heard of someone else using that stuff too before and they swore by it.

As far as rubbing compound, I try not to use that stuff. Its very abrasive, and damn sure don't use it on your paint. It's take your clear coat off and leave scratches in your paint. The most abbrasive I will use on paint is Polishing compound, and that too is at a last resort.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know that Comet or Ajax will easily clean surface rust off of chrome wheels.....spray on some water..sprinkle some comet on a sponge and scrub away...Now for seriously pitted stuff, I wouldn't have a clue.......other than replacing the wheels...

As far as your problem HRPC...I think pet stores have stuff that deters cats/dogs from urinating in unwanted areas....Might check into that....

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

You can try rat poison

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You can try rat poison

I might put a rubber band around his willy, but I don't wanna kill him. He's a cool dog in every other way. WTH, he's a dude, thats what dude dogs do. I'll remember that next time I have a ball scratch get together Dave. You'll have to stay home. :laughing1:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85