Possible new purchase...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Saw this a couple days ago. I have been doing my best to talk myself OUT of buying it....

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2566087708.html

Needs a new fender and turn signal obviously. I am also going to assume radiator core support and inner fender. Does it look like the hood has a bow to it also? I figure buy a new cowl hood and turn signals and put them on my green '79, and use the old stuff off the green one on this one. And if the engine really is a nice crate engine, swap that into my Monte SS. The hard part is going to be getting the wife to let me do it. I think it would be a great learning project for body work and paint. My dad used to paint cars on the side so I can pick his brain and guide me along. It will be good bonding time, as we don't really hang out much since I moved out and got married.

Just needed to share my thoughts with some others besides my two year and six month old daughters and wife. Let me know your thoughts guys!

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
From the pic's , it looks like a easy fix , fender , inner fender , maybe a core support , maybe a hood , all easy to find and replace.The hardest thing for me is aligning the fender with the door , with the hood etc...to get the body lines and spaces right (takes time).As for the crate motor ,(I am not a fan of crate motors) some run great and some are dogs , but drive it and stomp the skinny petal and see what she's got ,(I dont like eddie carb's either).I love step side square's so I would run over there and throw 1200.00 down and tell the guy thats all you have and take it from there.

I might not be the best guy to talk to because I become an inpulsive buyer when it comes to the 1979 and under square's and that pisses my wife off all the time when I come home with another one , (it happens a lot).

:patriot::patriot::patriot:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
the hood is a little tweaked in the pictures, Ide say buy it if it will give you a chance to bond with your dad who knows how many chances they will have anymore.:grd:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That is a sweet truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I won't be the one to talk you out of it! Looks like a fun and easy project to me.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Everything looks good except for the step side. Not a fan.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I cant believe you had to ask, go get it dude!

You should have made the title say, "LOOK WHAT I AM BUYING".

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Saw this a couple days ago. I have been doing my best to talk myself OUT of buying it....

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2566087708.html

Needs a new fender and turn signal obviously. I am also going to assume radiator core support and inner fender. Does it look like the hood has a bow to it also? I figure buy a new cowl hood and turn signals and put them on my green '79, and use the old stuff off the green one on this one. And if the engine really is a nice crate engine, swap that into my Monte SS. The hard part is going to be getting the wife to let me do it. I think it would be a great learning project for body work and paint. My dad used to paint cars on the side so I can pick his brain and guide me along. It will be good bonding time, as we don't really hang out much since I moved out and got married.

Just needed to share my thoughts with some others besides my two year and six month old daughters and wife. Let me know your thoughts guys!

You came to the wrong place to be talked out of it Bob. :roflbow: Doesn't appear to be bad enough damage to have bent the frame. Looks very repairable. If it runs good, its sure worth $1500, but I think I'd still work on the seller a bit for at least a couple hundred if he'd budge. $200 would buy all the parts you needed, then its all about your labor.

Boogiedown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
1985/1977
Truck Model
Silverado/c-10
Engine Size
350/350
man i would be all over that i have been wanting a step for a while, and i work at a body shop, i think you should go for it.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I might not be the best guy to talk to because I become an inpulsive buyer when it comes to the 1979 and under square's

I was an impulse buyer at one time. I had an 85 Corvette and a 1971 Camaro recently because of it. Hurt to much selling them for what I did.

You came to the wrong place to be talked out of it Bob. :roflbow: Doesn't appear to be bad enough damage to have bent the frame. Looks very repairable.

Believe me, I didn't come here to be talked out of it!!! I wanted to talk to guys who WANT me to buy it!! I agree, most likely no frame damage and a fairly routine fix in my mind.

Everything looks good except for the step side. Not a fan.

I am not a fan either, but I probably won't keep it very long.

The ad said K10. To me it looks to low to be 4x4. Looks more like a C10. What do you guys think? If it is a K10 I will probably pass on it. If it is a C10 however, it will be hard for me to pass up. I have wanted one to complement my K20. And if I do keep it, that step side will have to go!

Big thing now is getting the wife on board. While I do make the final decisions, and I could just buy without consulting her, I also highly respect what her thoughts and opinions are. If she's not good with it, then it will be a no go. Besides, I really need to work on my SS.....

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Go get that truck!!! If you don't like the bed those are easy to change!!! :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you want to come down here, I'll swap you a fleetside bed:)

And it's a C10 BTW

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
That is very fixable. :High 5:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Worth more than 1500 to me

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well I went to see the truck. Was not, I repeat NOT, even worth the $1500. EVERY panel on the truck needed rust repair and dent removal. It was just a piece of junk. It was actually a good 20 footer, but when you start really looking at it, wow. I do not have the time available to do a major job like that now.

And besides, the wife said no. She said I can't buy another toy until I finish my Monte Carlo SS. Well, I guess I need to bring home the SS.... (pictures when I do)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69