Possible clutch issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uriel

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Allegedly dad put a new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing in my truck when he pulled the engine. Knowing now how he chooses to do work (buy the absolute cheapest, used parts he can find, almost regardless of condition) I'm not entirely sure he did what he said he did. The reason I say this is because this thing is darn near off or on. What I mean is I can hardly slip it at all to get going. When I'm letting off the clutch the pedal has maybe an inch between disengaged and engaged with almost nothing in between. This makes it a PITA in traffic, or really anywhere else. Could a worn out pressure plate do that? He claimed it was a heavy duty clutch, but regardless, it feels like junk to me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
On/off feeling is just how most heavy duty/high performance type clutches feel. You sacrifice soccer mom driveability for for more holding power.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
to fix ur problem if u have a mechanical clutch system remove and install a hydraulic system which will make the clutch easier to engage and release if it is already hydraulic look at upgrading it

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I'd adjust the linkage if it's mechanical to go deeper. If its hydraulic make sure it's completely bleed properly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd adjust the linkage if it's mechanical to go deeper. If its hydraulic make sure it's completely bleed properly.

What I got from the complaint is there's no transition between engaged and disengaged. Sounds normal to me :shrug:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I didn't read it properly. It's just a heavy duty clutch. They are just stiff. My cummins is like that. You just have to adjust to it. Lots of people complain about them in traffic. At least it's not a bunch of slop before it engages.

Uriel

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Since I've only got about 280hp and maybe 300ft tq do I even heed heavy duty/hi po clutch? It's a pita, not to mention I font really feel like having two different sized legs again. Had a heavy engagement clutch on my rx-7 and after a summer of driving my wife was giving me guff cause my left leg was goofily larger.

Uriel

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
to fix ur problem if u have a mechanical clutch system remove and install a hydraulic system which will make the clutch easier to engage and release if it is already hydraulic look at upgrading it

how hard is it and where would I even find parts for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10