painting tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
hey guys, so my k20 is ready for paint. iv never painted before so i would like so tips. im thinking a dark metalic blue. i sprayed the high build. just gota sand with 600 then paint.

i just had shoulder surgery so i wont be doin this for awhile so i got time to think and learn.

soo single stage??? or base coat clear? pros and cons.

i really am nervous to paint i want it to look good.

help??

thanks guys

Liam

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
go with HOK cobalt blue with a black primer. **** looks good! fill all rusted panels with METAL! and single stage

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
trucks already in 3 coats of finish 1 gray primer

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Those links down low posted are kick ass, I will be reading them late tonight for sure since I am going to be painting my 85 in the near future.

Last pickup I did on my own was in 2004 or 05 and it was a color blue like you are describing. That paint accented every little ding and ******, the were very noticeable. Had I just painted the truck back to white, it would have looked fresh and glossy without noticeable dings I missed here and there. Point is, if you are not 1000% confident that you got every little ding out you might be in for an upsetting surprise the first time you have it out in the sunlight.

If you are deadset on that color I have complete confidence that you could make it look professional, it will most likely take more prep. Even if your truck looks straight as an arrow there is most likely numerous little dings you dont notice until the light is just perfect. My example of this is my 85, the body looks perfect on it but at a certain time of day when the sun is at a certain angle my drivers side door looks like a bag of walnuts.

One thing I suggest doing when you get a chance is a guide coat, it might be mentioned in one of those links but I have not read through them yet.

To do a guide coat all you need is more primer of a darker color. You spray a thin layer over your body panel and once its dry block sand it off until your lighter color primer is showing. Any low spots or irritating little dings will show up in the darker primer.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thank uu i will read those and i do feel pretty confident with my body work

86chevyk20

Full Access Member