Paint Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cameron84K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey yall, so basically I bought my first truck an 84 K10 a couple weeks ago and the previous owner did a HORRIBLE black spray paint job! I plan on eventually getting it painted back the "Light Blue" or "Metallic light blue" im not sure what the actual name is but the other day I was washing it with the power washer and some of the paint started to come off, so it got me thinking is there any way to remove the black paint job? Maybe if I go over it a few more times it will start coming off? I plan on getting it primered soon so its no big deal just wondering, thanks in advanced.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
You definitely want to get all the black off eathier power wash blast or sand iff

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
If it comes off with a power washer, obviously the p.o. didnt prep correctly. You're in luck. P. Wash it off and sand the balance with 120grit orbital or 80grit if you need to be a bit more aggressive. Primer away....

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I wouldn't do 80 grit unless you have too. You will need to do a fair amount of block sanding of the primer to hide the scoring from that.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Like I stated...use 80 grit "if you need to get a bit more aggressive " In my case, I had to remove two layers of paint and primer from the p.o.. 120grit didn't work. It didnt have any adverse effect when I block sanded and painted my truck. The paint was just done last week. The entire truck was block sanded. 60 grit would cause problems, not 80 grit.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Like I stated...use 80 grit "if you need to get a bit more aggressive " In my case, I had to remove two layers of paint and primer from the p.o.. 120grit didn't work. It didnt have any adverse effect when I block sanded and painted my truck. The paint was just done last week. The entire truck was block sanded. 60 grit would cause problems, not 80 grit.

Yes If you block sand the primer 80 is fine. And, yes, sometimes is required to get through all the layers without spending a week at it.

Nice looking paint job Smoothandlow! I like the color a lot!

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yes If you block sand the primer 80 is fine. And, yes, sometimes is required to get through all the layers without spending a week at it.

Nice looking paint job Smoothandlow! I like the color a lot![/QUOTE

Thanks, it's odd to finally have it painted after almost a year into my build. The p.o. didn't have the energy or desire to finish the rebuild. I had to go through everything.

It's all about the prep...spend more time prepping and the paint will be more forgiving. Although I prefer spraying primer with my cup sprayer (hvlp setup)... Rattle cans will suffice if you are on a budget. Are you wanting to primer before the weather gets too cold?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood