Paint Protective Film...Who has used it on what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not everyone may be familiar with Paint Protective Film (PPF). I have used the 3M brand on composite headlights, door edges and a few other exterior places. The stuff is amazing at protecting the paint from fading, scratches and surface contamination. The application takes a bit of skill to get the hang of applying it to contoured surfaces but it's not overly difficult. As I'm thinking about color changing my seatbelts from tan to black I was thinking about the plastic covers. I know how easy a scratch on painted plastic can ruin an otherwise good looking piece. Then I thought, why not paint it and then put PPF over it? It doesn't change the look as it is virtually crystal clear. I know they make "kits" for many vehicles that come with pre-cut pieces for consoles, door inserts, etc. So what say ya'll?

Attachments

• PPF.PNG
    PPF.PNG
    790.3 KB · Views: 28

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve put it on several vehicles. And it’s on the list to do on the blue truck below the belt line. Them wide offset Grabbers grab a lot of chit and starting to chip the paint….
But I don’t see it being feasible (and very hard to install) on a flexible part like the seatbelt sleeve. And I doubt it will look clear if there’s any texture to the surface. Hard enough to get the bubbles out of it on smooth surfaces.
But it’s cheap to buy a little piece if you don’t have any scraps around, and try it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And then I saw you’re referring to vinyl wrap and not clear bra. Totally different install procedure.
Fwiw, I wouldn’t expect it to last long nor hold up to much wear n tear, not to mention it’s tougher to install (imo) than clear film.
Vinyl wrap is chit on anything that sees any wear n tear imo.
Company came up with the bright idea ( the equipment dept nonetheless which shows how out of touch those dickweeds are), for better resale they were going to start buying white trucks and wrapping them with the Company color. They did a couple and sent them to our division. Citing great things like “protecting the paint”, and easy repair of scratches etc. not to mention the resale thing lol.
Well you can’t “touch up” scratches and any dents or dings require the same level of effort to repair, BEFORE re-installing a whole new panel of vinyl, even for a small whiskey dent.
Fck, I’m just a shadetree autobody guy but I could a told them it was a dumb idea (practically and financially).
Stuffs great for show cars and advertising with banners on your taco truck or plumbers van. But it also fades in the sun, degrading far quicker than quality paint.
That said I have the vinyl to put a black wrap on the roof of the General Lee. Also on the list of fun projects!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good points. Textured surfaces would be an issue. I have some extra pieces, I think I'll experiment one of the seat belt retractor covers. I'm pretty good at using the heat gun and getting it to lay on contoured surfaces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag