Opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
I just fixed the exact same problem, and discovered it was the oil pressure sender that controls the choke, led to a VERY rich mixture, dieseling, and a stupid high idle. All I had to do was change out that little sensor and now it runs smooth as silk, I mean it really purrs. If your 86 is anything like mine (although you have a 350 vs my 454) then that could also be your issue. That's just my 2 cents.

This is what I replaced (from RockAuto):

You must be registered for see images

Thanks for the insight. Where is this sender on your 454? I haven't seen anything from oil pressure passages other than the big can looking sending unit for the gauge?

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
Stick with a Q-jet, but one thing to think about. Your Q-jet is computer controlled, you should convert to non-computer controlled. That involves, dist, and carb.
And i dont know why everyone says their SOO confusing??????? I find them simple.

It is non computer. No M/C solenoid or TPS. Believe it is a M4ME.
Truck had no computer controls from the factory. I believe it is possibly because it is a 2500. No cats from the factory either. > 8600GVW

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
I'm a big fan too, had 10 or so of them. Currently only have three.

:) I have had around 9 thirds. Had two 4ths as well. Currently just have my 88 IROC and my truck.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
Thanks for the replies. You guys are definitely leaning me toward keep the Quad and rebuilding it.

Thanks for the link slickGTP. I will look into that book.

I had a few f-bodies that had the computer controlled carbs and they were ok but one had an Edelbrock put on by the P/O and when I rebuilt it I liked the simplicity. I like a challenge so I will get a kit and start rebuilding.

I do wonder what the drawbacks you guys have experienced with Edelbrock carbs? Most of my experience is in TBI/TPI/MPI

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies. You guys are definitely leaning me toward keep the Quad and rebuilding it.

Thanks for the link slickGTP. I will look into that book.

I had a few f-bodies that had the computer controlled carbs and they were ok but one had an Edelbrock put on by the P/O and when I rebuilt it I liked the simplicity. I like a challenge so I will get a kit and start rebuilding.

I do wonder what the drawbacks you guys have experienced with Edelbrock carbs? Most of my experience is in TBI/TPI/MPI

I have had both q-jet and edelbrock carbs in my c10. Both were great, q-jet was slightly better on gas. Even though I learned how to tune and maintain the q-jet, I think I prefer the edelbrock due to its simple, leak proof, tune-holding properties.

Many on here dislike edelbrock carbs, so I'm sure there's about to be some flak...:biggun:

They are not as bad as many make them out to be. Put it this way, I believe the good far outweighs the bad. The only downside I have experienced is very slightly less mpg. Almost negligible. They are so easy to tune, and when they're tuned, that's it. No more fooling with it. Leak free design as well.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Thanks for the insight. Where is this sender on your 454? I haven't seen anything from oil pressure passages other than the big can looking sending unit for the gauge?

I found mine hooked up on the oil galley at the very front driver's corner of the engine. Some say they are up by the distributor, but that was where mine was located.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
I will check this weekend to see if I can find that sensor.

Appreciate all the help.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
Just thought I would follow up.

The dieseling and high idle was caused by the cruise control. The rod that attaches to the throttle linkage from the cruise pod hangs up at the cruise pod. Unhooked it and runs like a champ.

And I am sticking with Qjet.

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Nice, glad to hear you figured out what was causing the dieseling.

As for the carb, it's hard to beat a well running q-jet!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64