Opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
Hello, this is my first post on here. I have wrenched for years on F bodies but never really tore into one of these trucks. I have researched a lot since I got my 86 GMC and now I have questions. I am trying to get this into daily driver shape. It is an 86 GMC C2500 5.7 Vin M, TH400, 4:10 3/4 ton
It only has 107K miles. But the maintenance has been lacking. I have put about 1K miles on it.

It was completely stock with all the heavy emissions stuff still on it. I have removed and plugged most of that now as both air pumps were locked up and I only need to pass a sniffer test.

I have put new plugs, wires, coil, cap, rotor and module in.

I have picked up a high idle and dieseling issue that is pissing me off right now. I did my plugs with AC 45's for a more complete burn but then the dieseling started so I dropped the heat range back down to the 44's. Still doing it. Seafoamed it. Still doing it. I still need to check the timing and replace all the vacuum lines and carb gasket but I am not impressed with carbs at the moment.

Now my questions

It has a Quadrajet on it and I can't decide if I want to rebuild it, get an Edelbrock 1406, or convert it TBI

Quadrajet seems overly complicated to me when an Edelbrock is so much less hassle.

I am leaning toward TBI but the fuel lines with sending units and tank valve that have return lines will be the most expensive part. I can get all the TBI parts from local u pull yards cheap.

What are your opinions on each of those options and some tips you may have that may lean me one way or the other. TIA

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hello, this is my first post on here. I have wrenched for years on F bodies but never really tore into one of these trucks. I have researched a lot since I got my 86 GMC and now I have questions. I am trying to get this into daily driver shape. It is an 86 GMC C2500 5.7 Vin M, TH400, 4:10 3/4 ton
It only has 107K miles. But the maintenance has been lacking. I have put about 1K miles on it.

It was completely stock with all the heavy emissions stuff still on it. I have removed and plugged most of that now as both air pumps were locked up and I only need to pass a sniffer test.

I have put new plugs, wires, coil, cap, rotor and module in.

Now my questions

It has a Quadrajet on it and I can't decide if I want to rebuild it, get an Edelbrock 1406, or convert it TBI

Quadrajet seems overly complicated to me when an Edelbrock is so much less hassle.

I am leaning toward TBI but the fuel lines with sending units and tank valve that have return lines will be the most expensive part. I can get all the TBI parts from local u pull yards cheap.

What are your opinions on each of those options. TIA
The Q jet is the best carb you can get, dont ruin the truck with an Edelbrock. TBI is good too, Just a bit of work.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Hello Shawn and welcome to the site :wave:. I personally always liked my q-jets once I found someone local that could properly tune them. I think for everyday drivability and fuel millage the TBI may be your best option. Some of the TBI guru's like Jims86 or Retro will chime in shortly with some additional info. Again welcome.

Jims86 beat me to the punch :waytogo:

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
Thanks for the fast replies.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
:)

Jim86, have you tried rebuilding the Quad yourself?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So I'm guessing by your screen name you like third gens?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check timing then carb.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
So I'm guessing by your screen name you like third gens?

Yeah. Been my favorite since I was a kid. Product of being raised in the 80's I guess.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah, definitely check the timing and go from there. I do love my TBI. Welcome aboard.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Like Jim said, don't ruin it by throwing an Edelbrock on it. My 3rd gen had one, my '72 C10 had one, and my K10 has one. All from previous owners. I'm far from impressed. A quadrajet is the best carb ever made for streetability in my opinion. Find someone to tune it properly and you'll love it.

Just my 2 cents.

As for your high idle and dieseling issue, I would check your timing as others have said.

Last edited:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I just fixed the exact same problem, and discovered it was the oil pressure sender that controls the choke, led to a VERY rich mixture, dieseling, and a stupid high idle. All I had to do was change out that little sensor and now it runs smooth as silk, I mean it really purrs. If your 86 is anything like mine (although you have a 350 vs my 454) then that could also be your issue. That's just my 2 cents.

This is what I replaced (from RockAuto):

You must be registered for see images

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah. Been my favorite since I was a kid. Product of being raised in the 80's I guess.

I'm a big fan too, had 10 or so of them. Currently only have three.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Stick with a Q-jet, but one thing to think about. Your Q-jet is computer controlled, you should convert to non-computer controlled. That involves, dist, and carb.
And i dont know why everyone says their SOO confusing??????? I find them simple.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus