Opinions on superlift. 12"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan243

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys lookin for some input on some lifts. I was thinking bout goin with the superlift 12" kit on my 76 shortbed. Anything I should be aware of about this kit and any input on other tall kits would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Your gonna need Driveshafts, no doubt about it. Tcase drops, watch your U-joint angles.

May i ask, why a 12"?

I myself was gonna go 12" untill i realised how much of a nucense it would have become. Now im looking more at 4-6"

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
As mentioned, there are a lot of other things that are needed with a lift that high. Most important is shafts and steering. Rear shaft won't be that big of a deal, but a front shaft that works without binding is going to cost a bit. Also, crossover type steering is nearly a must with that much lift.

Then there's the big tires that go along with a big lift. Tires that size are going to make 1/2 ton axles suffer, even on the street.

Ryan243

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As far a steering and driveshafts I think I'll be alright. I have all the spacers and for the driveshafts and already have the drop pitman arm and drag link. The truck has 10" of lift on it now just tryin to get away from ad a leaf and blocks. And for rear ends the rear is a 14 bolt full floater And front is a Dana 60 and I have 4.56 gears.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Pullin this one outta the grave.

A ten inch lift on a shortbed that works right requires (not optional) crossover steering (or the extremely dangerous bent connecting rod, bent steering arm as well as the steering arm spacer- talk about stacking leverage forces!-), double set of double cardan joints in the rear drive shaft (otherwise the lower end of the drive shaft HAS to be aligned -at rest- to the pinion) which puts the front pinion oiling system in the 14 bolt out of commission or terrible pinion angles no matter what, a two inch dropped tc (requiring a different fan shroud, eliminated fan shroud or electric fans), and, as mentioned, a nearly useless front drive shaft or one that will cost a fortune to get to work due to the working angles. A 12" has historically been relegated to trailer queens. Just my old tyme experience...YMMV.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
4 inches is the best for driveline angles and drivability. Maybe not the best for big tires or looks. But for actual usability as a daily driver 4 inches is the way to go.

I have 6 inches and Im saving for a 4 inch lift.

And if you really want you can add another 3 with a body lift to give you 7 but I don't like body lifts.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
MadOgre, I respectfully disagree with the idea that 4" is the "best for driveline angles and drivability".

I owned a SWB GMC (1978- sm 465/205-4.10's) for over five years with a 6" lift and 39-15/15 M/T Tall Baja's on it and it was not only a very well mannered truck on the road it pulled a 12 foot U-haul trailer from St. Louis to Vail Colorado during an ice storm with NO issues when I moved there hauling my Harley Softy and packed with household goods (with a three wheeler in the bed) and then made the trip numerous other times back to Missouri to go wheeling in the Black River loaded down with camping gear and the three wheeler in the bed. I had a 14 bolt floater and D44. No driveline issues other than self-inflicted poor maintenance on the u-joints (I'm bad at that) And BTW, I had one very healthy 355 in that truck and good gas back then to help it along.

My 2cents is that 6" is the break point for a SWB (truck) 4" for a blazer/jimmy.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Fair enough. My story is pretty similar with my 6" lift too. My 6" is still better than stock, and great for when I go offroad. There is lots of room when working underneath it. Im not sure if 4" will make it cramped or not?

The only issues I have is maybe being a little bit tall for parking lots and wind on the highway.

Its a little tall for working on with the hood open just by an inch or two.

With the 4" lift a 4" steering block works good where as the 6" leaves you off by 2"

Although I have not lengthened my driveshaft it does sit in further with a 4" lift. and although I have had few problems with u joints its obvious less angle creates less stress on u joints.

I did have to get the long yoke to go on my front driveshaft.

The 6" requires a spacer for the front sway bar where as the 4" does not

The 6" can be iffy when off road with stock brake lines, the 4" not so much

I have found with heavier loads towing it does tend to sway a bit depends on the trailer too.

I find my truck is just that little bit too tall to get in and out of half the time, mahh maybe im just getting old, lol, but my point was that for a daily driver I think a 4" is the way to go.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
BTW that's just IMO.

DID you have to cut your fenders to fit those 39s ?

Also I have 2" add a leafs with 4" blocks in the back so maybe that's why I notice the wind a bit when on the highway. maybe even some of the towing issues.

I was going to replace that with 6" springs but I cant find any just 4"

Last edited:

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
BTW that's just IMO.

DID you have to cut your fenders to fit those 39s ?

Also I have 2" add a leafs with 4" blocks in the back so maybe that's why I notice the wind a bit when on the highway. maybe even some of the towing issues.

I was going to replace that with 6" springs but I cant find any just 4"

Ah! You were talking all the way round and under too! I was simply going with driveline fatigue.

I agree with almost everything you said there except for one...the steering arm. four inches was tall as they make but at least back in the day a two inch spacer could be bought to go under it. Maybe it wasn't the greatest of ideas but it was effective at reducing bump steer, actually it eliminated it entirely.

I only had to trim the rear of the front openings at the bottom about 2" at an angle. Quick sawzall work or cutoff wheel work. Didn't come close to the mounting bolt IIRC.

Gotta remember that at the time suspensions where pretty much in their infancy. Weren't no such thing as aftermarket store bought rear lift springs when I got mine. They could be custom built of course. So I had the 4" springs with a 2" or so block to make it level. I also had the trailmaster anti rotation traction bars on it. I found they are still made, or something similar anyway, and they worked well for what I used them for. But they broke often due to the horsepower I had or something.

As for towing with a heavy load? I can't say, a 12' uhaul doesn't carry much after a Harley, a console TV and bed frame are put in it. Maybe 2500lbs. 3000 max overall. Never hauled much in the short box other than firewood while camping and the three wheeler.

As for the height to work in the engine compartment...nope, not from the ground. The only way was with my knees wedged onto the front bumper or sitting inside on the fender or standing on the rim or top of the tire. Try sitting in a new truck!

When I went from 4" to the 6" I didn't lengthen the front driveshaft either but I had an entirely new rear one made. I used the largest tubing the shop could find commonly used u-joints for (5" IIRC). The drive shaft yoke was larger than the 14 bolt yoke so I used a jump joint. Never had any problems that weren't self inflicted by lack of maintenance on my part.

However, I let a fellow wheeler borrow my truck down on the Black River when a monster truck we were wheeling with got a flat. They ran back to camp to get the equipment necessary to change the tire. My buddy was driving (the fellow wheeler) and he was drunk, as we all were normally on the river, and he hit a large gravel berm at speed. A pretty good one it seems because they told me they felt like the hang-time was about ten minutes. :whymewhyme:. Any way he gets back and gets out of my truck, reached in the back and brings out what was left of my front driveshaft. :whymewhyme: The splines broke at the tube. I immediately crawl under under the truck to see the other damage...hmmm..couldn't be from MY truck, yet it was from my truck unless they were the best liars on the planet. But since I'd known my buddy since grade school I finally decided they were telling the truth. How the underside of my truck wasn't destroyed by the broken driveshaft, the jump, and more so the landing, is beyond me. But there was NO other damage than the driveshaft. He took it into town and the local garage had one that fit for $25. I let him buy it for me just out of the kindness of my heart. :angels2:

That's a GMC for ya, they take a beating and keep runnin.

Anyway, getting in and out when I owned that at the ripe old age of 24-29 it was hard getting in and out. And when folks grabbed the door to give themselves an assist I yelled pretty badly them. The doors IMHO where not made that kind of weight bearing. I told em to grab the A-pillar with one hand and the back of the seat or the B-pillar with the other. After they did it that way they found it was just as easy.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
LOL that's awesome.

I think im just tired of havin to use a bucket or what ever I can find to stand on so I can work under the hood, and nearly everytime I get skewered on the hood latch when my bucket goes for a roll because I was prying on something.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh ya mine really don't look like wheel wells in fact im kinda surprised my inner fenders havnt fallen out I had to cut a fair bit to get 42s in there.

Good tip though is to take out those inner fender to cab bolts and coat them up with some anti seize and put them back in tight so when you change your mind and wanna make it look all pretty again you don't have to fight with those bolts.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
My current truck will need new inners and outers. Almost all the fender bolts will have to be torched off because the highly intelligent person I bought the truck from (with me as the other highly intelligent person for checking more closely) stripped most of the body bolts either trying to remove them or putting the truck back together after spending so much time and money covering everything with bondo and a nice paint job.

I just wish M/T still sold the Tall Baja's. But I guess since it was a bias belted tire it wasn't keeping up with the times. Those were beyond awesome tires, they did everything well. At least everything I pointed my truck into. Deep mud, deep snow, ice, wet pavement, good mileage (on the tread wear), reasonably quiet, stopped good and had a high speed rating. I had them up to 130 and I'm still alive to tell the tale. I was racing a Trans Am on the interstate. Kinda surprised him a truck as big as mine could make him work for the win. He did win, but only in total speed, I kept up till about 120 mph and gave up at 130. Rode nice at that speed but it was 130 mph in a swb truck, not something I want to do every day. BTW- I knew it was 130 because the guy I was racing was with me, we were headed down for some camping on the river.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
LOL that's awesome.

I think im just tired of havin to use a bucket or what ever I can find to stand on so I can work under the hood, and nearly everytime I get skewered on the hood latch when my bucket goes for a roll because I was prying on something.

Lol, been there done that. After it happened enough times I started looking for grille guards so I had something to climb up and hold onto. Haven't hurt myself on the latch since then.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I saw at a hotrod swap meet these boards that slide over top of your tires and gives you a platform to stand on. looked like a good idea but I didn't have $40 cash in my pocket so im still using the 5 gallon bucket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26