Oil light switch leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I drove my truck for maybe the third time in 2 months the other day for about 5 miles. When i parked, oil was pouring out from underneath. I think I tracked it to the oil light switch.

My question is, how does the switch take on oil to leak that much and how do I get it off and torqued on correctly? It's pretty much under and behind the distributor. Should I just remove the dizzy and replace both oil sensors and T fitting altogether??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Easiest to take out the distributor. It could be from the light switch, the T itself, or the sender. No real way to tell until you get in there, but might as well have all three pieces on hand and return the ones you do not need.

As for the leak, the senders can crack, or degrade over time. Especially in a place like behind the distributor, where it is cramped, it is easy to inadvertently hit it and crack a fitting while adjusting timing or working back there.

Just be aware, it can also be an intake manifold end seal or valve cover leak as well. Both are common leak points.

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Forgot to write back about this. Bought a $10 switch and a $10 switch socket from advance... Hooked it on my floppy socket and Bob's your uncle. Thanks again for this forum. I just couldn't fathom that much oil escaping a switch that small with a leak that small. Another square lives

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli