NP833 to T56

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well, I've been trolling my local yards and Craigslist since returning home from the big road trip with an eye out on upgrades for my little red '87 (shortbed 1/2 ton with a 305 and NPA833) and I found three local possibilities for a quick and easy swap: Two LT1/T56 pulls complete with ECMs and looms, and one older (92) Z28 350/T5 pull complete.

The early Z28 pull is relatively cheap (well under 2K), still in the car, and I'll be able to hear it run. Car had 90K on it before the ass end was smashed. The later model LT1/T56 pulls are clean and low mileage pulls as well, and have a 30 day warranty, but are $1000 more.

I'm leaning toward a late model lower mileage LT1 and 6 speed swap, despite the higher price, but whatever I pick with be getting at least one turbo eventually. The truck is just going to be a simple hotrod that'll I'll be driving daily and using for fun road trips where we don't need the space of the 'brurb. The only T56 I have experience with was in a Viper. I'm not at all familiar with the T5, but I know they were as prolific as the T56 is.

So, Has anyone put a T5 or T56 into one of these trucks? My concern is getting the shifter sorted out through the stock shifter location. Anyone know of mid or side shift tail housings for the T56 or T5 that'll get me close or right on to the stock tunnel opening?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'd vote older yes the LT1 would have more hp but it's the whole reverse coolant flow thing and the crappy distributor thing as well.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Isn't the t56 the better trans though? I didn't think the older camaros were available with a 5.7 in front of the t5, because it wouldn't hold up? At the very least, I'd make damn sure that the '92 engine is a legit 350.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Even world class t5 not that great for a truck use. But in a light truck can be ok on street tires. Best would be to just get t56 trans and put it with the motor you want. 3rd gen camaros did not come factory with t5 and a 350. So it could be the better tpi motor or the same old tbi. Also good question on which t5 it has. Either motor or trans has been swapped on it. If it is non world class t5, just about run away from it.

Interwstingly enough, ls1 t56 bolts up to old small blocks easier than the lt1 version.

I have picked up high miles ls1 t56 for $1300 before, so add another $800 for a good 5.3 ls motor and another $1k for misc parts for newer drivetrain.

Or just get a t56 first bolted up to your existing motor and then just upgrade the motor later

Last edited:

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yea, my big concern is the transmission...
I'm seeing midshift kits available, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had done a swap in a 4 speed truck to a T56 regarding fitment. I don't want to cut the hump up.

The Camaro engine is a 5.7 TPI, so maybe the T5 was swapped in before the car was wrecked? Maybe I got the year wrong? Either way, I've been leaning toward a T56 anyway.

If I can get a 350 and a better transmission into this truck for around 3K in one shot, I'll be happy. That'll give me enough to finish what I want to do to the suspension, brakes, and rear end.

I'll have to get some measurements for a T56 and a midshift kit and see what I can see.

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
It looks like the McLeod adapter 82-1001 that will allow me to move the shifter up to the front position with a little bit of internal work. Nothing too crazy, though. Heck, I can get the whole shebang for $400 from Silver Sport:

https://shiftsst.com/store/t56-front-shift-kit.html

From there it'll just be a matter of sorting out the proper shift lever specs and Bob's my mother's brother, as they say. Mark one for the engineers, this time.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I thought it was Bobs your auntie? Lol

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Check and make sure that the '92 is a 350. From the factory you could not get a T5 behind the 350. The LT1 isn't a bad engine, the Opti can cause issues but I had one with over 150k miles original Opti. What year are the LT1s? The '95s are the most desirable due to the vented Opti, little larger cam and they were OBD1 with an OBD2 connector and the easiest to tune.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The later year pullouts are around 1K more because on average, a T56 is worth about 1K more than a T5.

Interwstingly enough, ls1 t56 bolts up to old small blocks easier than the lt1 version.

How so? The LT1 version bolts right up without swapping the input shaft. The factory type pull clutch and flywheel work fine with a '86-newer block, or there's a conversion flywheel for the older blocks.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
To me the short input shaft and pull style clutch of the lt1 t56 are the biggest drawbacks.
Extensive write up on t56 swaps.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/27-tr...information-first-generation-camaro-swap.html

The later year pullouts are around 1K more because on average, a T56 is worth about 1K more than a T5.

How so? The LT1 version bolts right up without swapping the input shaft. The factory type pull clutch and flywheel work fine with a '86-newer block, or there's a conversion flywheel for the older blocks.

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel

It won't work with the older small blocks without a lot of modification, that's why the F-body guys won't do it. You would have to change the input shaft, the bell housing and the clutch setup. If you use the LT1 style T56, you just use the LT1 slave setup with the LT1 flywheel and clutch.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Coming from a first gen f body side, the ls1 t56 to sbc was has always appeared more easier. It all depends on the application and the current after market

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Coming from a first gen f body side, the ls1 t56 to sbc was has always appeared more easier. It all depends on the application and the current after market

I did read through the link you posted and I was not aware that there are so many swap parts available. I still think that the LT1 version is the easiest way to go, especially if replacing a T5 or a 700R4. BUT, with the swap parts now available and the LT1 units getting a little scarce, just use whichever version you can get your hands on for a good price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20