NP208 Rebuild_Level of difficulty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Having some issues w/ my K10 transfer case, it is starting to drop into Neutral on a pretty regular basis while driving down the street. Has been making for some pretty exciting moments I figure it is time to open up the NP208 and see what is worn. Question - Is repairing/overhauling a NP208 relatively straight foreword? Require any special tools??

(My level of mech knowledge is mid-level, not a total newbie but nowhere near expert. (Just finished rebuilding-installing a 9.5", 14 bolt, semi-float, posi; that went pretty smooth for me. Used my own rednek strategy for brake bleeding, combined AC vacuum pump with Gatorade bottle and clear plastic hose fr HomeDepot, sucked out air out of brake system in a flash))

Attachments

• DSCN2146.jpg
    DSCN2146.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 179

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
No special tools that i can think of other than measuring devices. Ive never rebuilt one but heard it takes 2-3 hours if your not used to rebuilding one. But im sure theres probably going to be 3-4 speciality tools you might need.

Sent from my Reddot R50 using Tapatalk

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Bumping this, cuz I need info too. How difficult is it to remove the np208 transfer case? I've never felt with one before.

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
A good set of snap ring pliers is a must to R&R the guts of the 208. It's all I've needed to do a 241 so. You can R2 the bearings with either a press or hammer and the cheap seal driver tools. Take your time and take pics or get a clear exploded view drawing to make reassembly easier.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Regarding the NP208 removal & replacement, it is very straight forward, to gotchas. Just get the truck up on some jack stands. If you are not spending a lot of time at the gym benching just do like me and get a cheap Trans Jack @ Harbor Freight. Bolt a square of thick plywood on top, put in 4 eyelets @ the corners, use a small set of ratchet tie downs and some extra blocks made from 2x4's to keep your roundy bottom 208 steady and you will have it made in the shade.
Regarding the 208 innards, we have a local transmission expert who will service the t-case from stem to stern for $150 labor plus parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84C20jb