np203 shift pattern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfd378

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
350ci
Can anyone tell me the shift pattern of my np203, the diagram on the shifter is gone. also there are 2 shifters for the transfer case, whats the deal?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hope this helps...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 203shift.jpg
    203shift.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,208

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Two shifters? Sounds like someone has done a 'twin stick' modification to it. If this is the case, there's two different functions depending on if it's still a full-time 4x4 case or if it's also been converted to part time. If it's full time, one shifter is for hi-low, the other is for lock-open (I think...). If it's part time, one is hi-low, the other is 2wd-4wd.

bfd378

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
350ci
thanks bucket, I know one of the shifters has a hi - N - lo range but the other one seems to need adjusting, Can't seem to get it to pop into anything, I do have locking hubs so im guessing it is all the time 4x4.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Never heard of people twin sticking a 203, and if you got locking hubs it is part time. Take a pic or 3 of the t-case and post em up, maybe one of us can tell what it is. Pretty cool it's set up for twin stick, even more if it turns out to be a 205 like I'm thinking it is.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Never heard of people twin sticking a 203, and if you got locking hubs it is part time. Take a pic or 3 of the t-case and post em up, maybe one of us can tell what it is. Pretty cool it's set up for twin stick, even more if it turns out to be a 205 like I'm thinking it is.

I've seen a couple articles on how to make your own twin stick setup out of a couple stock 203 shifters. IIRC, ORD sells a kit too.

I'd also like to point out that a lot of trucks have had locking hubs installed even though they don't have a part time kit installed.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I shouldn't post till after noon, I dont think too clearly in the mornings.

bfd378

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
350ci
well the only problem i found was the linkage is off i think, there not going into gear very good and it pops out sometimes.

Spudman

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
LandCruiser
Engine Size
350ci
does anyone have a diagram of how the NP203 shifter goes together *******(me) forgot how to put it back together

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The hi-lo gear range sliding shift collar and the two gears they engage become wore and causes them to pop out of gear.
Usually the excessive wear on the sliding collar and the gears is caused from some ******* driving them in lock, on solid surfaces or not, and the drivetrain, through the T-case and driveshafts and axles comes under a bind, so, instead of putting them in reverse and backing up for ten or twenty feet to relieve the bind, they`ll hammer on the shifter or stomp on them with a boot to get them to disengage and it shears off the splines in the sliding collar and the gears.
Installing a set of manual hubs onto a full time 4X4 pickup with a 203 T-case is a real big thing to NOT!!!! do.
Inside the T-case, there is a set of spider gears, much like what is in a differential, is what happens is the drive shafts will then rotate at different speed {front output and rear output} and cause the spider gears to rotate at speeds that they were not designed to turn at, it will tear up the conical thrust washers and the X shaft.
If You do not know if the T-case has had a part time kit installed then I would be running the manual hubs in lock position.
I do`nt know if there is any way to tell if it has a part time kit installed in the T-case without a tear down.
I did convert My shifter to a twin stick because there was some parts missing.
Someone in the forum may have a singel stick shifter if You put out a call for one in the WTB thread of the classifieds.
I have one that I got from a member in the forum that I might be using, it is packed away in the shed and`d prolly take a couple of days of scrounging to find it. I`m terrible at labeling boxes and such.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
does anyone have a diagram of how the NP203 shifter goes together *******(me) forgot how to put it back together

Those 203 hi-low boxes must be one tough unit. people will piggyback them onto their NP205 T-case to get them some ultra low gearing.

And i searched the innernet over, high and low and could not find any information about that shifter other than to take it apart and turn`um into a double sticker unit.
Here is a pic. of the T-case`s break down.

You must be registered for see images attach

Spudman

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
LandCruiser
Engine Size
350ci
thanks for all the help I have searched hi and low for 3days and found nothing of a Diagram for a 203 shifter. My search continues.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You must be registered for see images attach
thanks for all the help I have searched hi and low for 3days and found nothing of a Diagram for a 203 shifter. My search continues.

Spudman

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
LandCruiser
Engine Size
350ci
You must be registered for see images
ok can you help Identify this transfer case sorry pic wont upload try later

Last edited: