not sure about my rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ohchiiit

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
468ci
first off i would like to say hello! im new to this site. i recently was given a 83 c10 from my grandfather and have started working on it. i done a motor swap and now im at the rear. i believe it has a factory 10 bolt single trac 3.08, i wanna run a posi unit with 373. who should i use for these parts? any thing else i need to replace i the rear while im doing this? thanks for any help.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
I would look around for a used one and bolt it in.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
first off i would like to say hello! im new to this site. i recently was given a 83 c10 from my grandfather and have started working on it. i done a motor swap and now im at the rear. i believe it has a factory 10 bolt single trac 3.08, i wanna run a posi unit with 373. who should i use for these parts? any thing else i need to replace i the rear while im doing this? thanks for any help.

I would look around for a used one and bolt it in.

Welcome to the forum, first i gotta say what a username you picked :roflbow:

Second. Just changing the gears is not always that simple, the gears you buy depends on the carrier you already have, also there are some special tools that you NEED to PROPERLY set up a gear set. Considering those facts and depending on your skill level and tools available to you your best option may very well be what john suggested.

I am not gonna talk alot of trash about a 10 bolt rearend, but i will say depending on what your motor is you might be better off stepping up to a 12 bolt rear end.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB Brian.

I'll certainly agree with Pops and having the tools and making sure you get it set up right.

But, in the debate of 10 bolt vs 12 bolt, if it were me, I wouldn't break the bank looking for a 12 bolt truck rear end. If you intended on acquiring another rear end housing anyway, then sure, try to find the 12 bolt, but don't spend a forturne on it like some will do thinking its much stronger. This is true on passenger car rear end, where the car 10 bolt is 8.2 and the 12 bolt is 8.875. But in the trucks, the 10 bolt is 8.5 and the 12 bolt is 8.875, so there is only .375 difference, and the pinion shafts are also the same diameter, so the 12 bolts are not much stronger than the truck 10 bolts. Granted, the 3/8 bigger gear will be a better. Just saying, you're compaing to 8.5 in a truck rear end rather than 8.2 car rear end. It's also been said that 10 bolts hold quite a bit more lubricant, keeping them cooler, and slinging more oil into the axle tubes lubing the axles better. Not sure how true that is as far as the more oil means better lubrication. Also, if you change to a 12 bolt rear end, you're driveshaft will be 3/4 inch to short but might be just fine if you have the long Th/700r4 yoke. If you don't then just get the longer yoke and should be fine.
Do keep us updated. Got any pics of your truck?

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
I would hit the salvage yards and find a 10 bolt with G80 rpo and the gears you want. Much cheaper. GM 10 bolts sell everyday for $100 used.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My feelings wouldn't be hurt if I couldn't find a G80, Locking Diff unit either. The Gov-Lok system earned it's nicknalme Gov-Bomb for a reason. Then again, I know of one that was 30 years old, over 200,000 miles and was still working fine as it was supposed to. But it was in a 12bolt that I sold for $200.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
Agreed with the 12 bolt.

The G80 got its nickname from hardcore wheelers.. For everyday driving and occasional light off road use they are decent, Especially if you find a SF14 with a G80 code.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Agreed with the 12 bolt.

The G80 got its nickname from hardcore wheelers.. For everyday driving and occasional light off road use they are decent, Especially if you find a SF14 with a G80 code.

I still don't want a gov-loc. There's been more than a few street trucks come in the shop because of a blown up gov-loc. I also recently bought an SF14 (from a stock street truck) that I was hoping was an open rear. When I pulled the cover, guess what I found? A blown up gov loc and a chipped ring gear because of it.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
I still don't want a gov-loc. There's been more than a few street trucks come in the shop because of a blown up gov-loc. I also recently bought an SF14 (from a stock street truck) that I was hoping was an open rear. When I pulled the cover, guess what I found? A blown up gov loc and a chipped ring gear because of it.

rather have a 14 bolt seen a many blown gov loc and seen a few that are still working which is a surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello