Non power locks/windows to power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have non power doors and windows in my 86 K5, but found some power doors and windows complete setup. I'm wondering what else I would need if anything else? Also how difficult is the conversion? Where would I get the power from to the doors and locks? Thanks...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The P/L & P/W wiring is contained within a single harness. The combined harness breaks up into 3 parts

1. The cross-cab section
2. LH door group
3. RH door group

The door harness sections are fairly straight forward - they contain the connectors that plug into the window regulator motors, the lock solenoids and the associated switches. They separate from the cross-cab section at a 2 piece connector (little one for lock and bigger one for windows) out near each door.

The cross-cab section has the connectors that plug into the fuse block and also the door lock relay. The windows have no relay - just the motors and switches in the doors.

The best way to do this is to hit the junkyards or watch C/L for someone parting out an 81 - 87 truck.

Neither the locks nor the windows is a complicated system - and could be fabricated - but it is so much easier to pull an OEM harness out of a junk truck. Since you already have fully loaded doors, the only thing you would need to do the job would be a lot of wire and the previously mentioned lock relay. But trust me - even if you have to search for a while - find an OEM harness to install.

There are 4 holes that need to be drilled - for the wiring to make the transition from the A pillars to the door shell. There is also a short rubber conduit that the wiring passes through as it makes that pillar to door transition. There is a backing flange for each end of each rubber conduit where the holes are located.

Placement of the holes is critical but even if your truck never had power W/L's there are marks on the A pillar where they are to be drilled - actually there are just little dimples where the mounting screws for the flanges (for the rubbers) are to go. Just use a step drill and make a 1 3/8" hole for the wiring bundle . Since your new doors are already equipped this doesn't apply to you - they are already drilled and probably have the rubber conduits still attached.

That is the entire scope of the upgrade.

One suggestion:

Once you have located the harness and before installing the new doors, run the wires out to the door components and test everything. Hook a battery charger up to both leads that would normally plug into the fuse block. Run your windows up and down and cycle your locks . This is only because its much easier to repair/replace door components while they are on the bench. Plus when you finally do install the system your will have functioning winows and locks from day one.

I am doing this as we speak as well, so if you have any other questions, come on back.

Last edited:

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks CHENGNY. Mine doesn't have power W/L but found a set of doors that does. But was thinking of just pulling the electrical stuff off and installing into mine because the doors are different colors.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
this is funny, some people want to go to all power and I want to get rid of my power and get everything to make them crank windows.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You can have my manual regulators - they are perfect.

Before I pulled them - you could crank the windows up with one finger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade