non a/c conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
and with the tremclad, you don't need primer. can still use it but not required

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
tremclad. one heavy coat and one light coat. pretty happy with it. knocked off scaling rust and lightly wire wheeled the frame. i found if the metal is perfectly clean, the paint didn't adhere as well.

I just remmebered something. :grd:

They make a tool called a needle scaler. Basically like an air chisel but instead of a chisel bit it has like 2 dozen loosely arranged metal needles. We used to have them here at work for cleaning concrete off steel forms and machines. I bet this would be a great tool for cleaning a frame off. I have one at home, I need to dig that sucker out and bring it back to life and attack the Burb with it, they really are a great tool. :waytogo:

attachment.php

Attachments

• imagesCAZ7SIAC.jpg
    imagesCAZ7SIAC.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 152

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
tremclad. one heavy coat and one light coat. pretty happy with it. knocked off scaling rust and lightly wire wheeled the frame. i found if the metal is perfectly clean, the paint didn't adhere as well.

Great looking project!

I plan on refurbing my frame while I have the body, etc... off of it too.

What made you decide to go with Tremclad instead of something else, like POR-15 for instance?

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
talked to some jeep guys who used dom 16 and por 15 and they're weren't happy with the price or product. two of the guys are very thorough on everything and followed the instructions perfectly. mentioned peeling as a concern. tremclad is more cost effective and easy to touch up if/when needed. would do it the same way again. have used tremclad on trailers for years with no problems. maybe climate is an issue, i don't know. i'm sure alot of people have had no problem with por15.

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
talked to some jeep guys who used dom 16 and por 15 and they're weren't happy with the price or product. two of the guys are very thorough on everything and followed the instructions perfectly. mentioned peeling as a concern. tremclad is more cost effective and easy to touch up if/when needed. would do it the same way again. have used tremclad on trailers for years with no problems. maybe climate is an issue, i don't know. i'm sure alot of people have had no problem with por15.

Excellent info, thanks!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I just remmebered something. :grd:

They make a tool called a needle scaler. Basically like an air chisel but instead of a chisel bit it has like 2 dozen loosely arranged metal needles. We used to have them here at work for cleaning concrete off steel forms and machines. I bet this would be a great tool for cleaning a frame off. I have one at home, I need to dig that sucker out and bring it back to life and attack the Burb with it, they really are a great tool. :waytogo:

attachment.php

:popcorn:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'm going to take some video and before and afer pics of that bitch in action over the winter Old77. :waytogo:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I'm going to take some video and before and afer pics of that bitch in action over the winter Old77. :waytogo:

:popcorn: I am interested in seeing what the needle scaler will do also. Hurry your ass up 89s

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottyray