No spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So my truck isnt starting. Its turning over but nothing is happening. I tried starting fluid and it didnt do anything so i bought new spark plugs. After new spark plugs were put in still nothing so i bought a spark plug tester. The light didnt come on so im not getting electricity to the spark plugs. Today i bought a new distributor rotor and a new coil and im still getting nothing. The cap is clear so you can see if the spark is going to the wires which it is not.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So my truck isnt starting. Its turning over but nothing is happening. I tried starting fluid and it didnt do anything so i bought new spark plugs. After new spark plugs were put in still nothing so i bought a spark plug tester. The light didnt come on so im not getting electricity to the spark plugs. Today i bought a new distributor rotor and a new coil and im still getting nothing. The cap is clear so you can see if the spark is going to the wires which it is not.

I'd say that's a good diagnosis. It seems you've replaced everything except the plug wires and the ignition control module. I'd check for corrosion in the plug wires and take the ICM to Autozone or similar to have it tested. If no good, replace. I'm thinking the module, though, way more than the wires.

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd say that's a good diagnosis. It seems you've replaced everything except the plug wires and the ignition control module. I'd check for corrosion in the plug wires and take the ICM to Autozone or similar to have it tested. If no good, replace. I'm thinking the module, though, way more than the wires.

I just bought a new ICM and still have nothing.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I wonder if the pick-up coil has gone bad. The pick-up coil sits on the shaft of the dizzy below the base plate.

Mine went bad in my '87 and I replaced the coil, ICM, cap and rotor and nothing changed. Took it to a shop to have the dizzy replaced and it worked again. The pick-up coil is user replaceable, but it might be easier to just replace the entire dizzy instead.

Get someone to crank the motor and watch for fuel spray in the TBI. If nothing, sure bet the pick-up coil is dead. When it goes, if prevents any fuel from being sprayed into the TBI as a safety measure. The fuel pump will still do it's initial prime with the ignition turned on.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
His is an '83, though. Is it a TBI?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
His is an '83, though. Is it a TBI?

No... For some reason, I saw your name and thought it was your ride.

No pick-up coil on '83 dizzy. Is there a fusible link between dizzy and battery?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef