No power at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey guys my friend is having trouble with his 86 c10
Here's what's going on
"I have a problem i have no power whatsoever, every once and awhile ill have lights and when i go to start it i lose all power and wont have it for awhile ive checked all my grounds and had the starter tested and i still cant seem to find the problem."

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Check the positive battery connections, and the connection of the wires on the starter solenoid, sounds to me one of those has a loose connection, or a fusible link that's actin stupid

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Inspect the main lead from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter solenoid. It is not unusual for a bare spot on the insulation to develop where it runs along the engine.

When the exposed copper cable touches a ground point, the entire electrical system is drawn down and all power is lost.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
His Engine to battery ground was tight but not clean
Meant to post that the day after but jumping from one project or problem to the next and you forget
Thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for the updates Mike. I noticed you also updated your Audio thread. :waytogo: Always nice to know what corrected a problem. Much appreciated. :wave:

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yes
I love this app
I read through stuff all the time and forget what threads I created lol
Now I can keep track of them

Lift3d1

Reaction score
First Name
erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I"m having this exact same problem as described!

Trucks been running solid for a long time. then it got cold and bam. nuthin. i popped the hood and the positive terminal seemed a bit loose. Tightened it and it fired right up so i thought it was the easy fix. drove the truck home to normal parking spot. came out this morning and NOTHIN!!

now i'm here thankful for the interwebs and this forum cuz this may be the weirdest problem i'm run across with my squarebody.

So far i've removed and had the starter solenoid tested(tested good). I'll be removing the negative battery ground tomorrow and cleaning/replacing. I'm also planning to clean the starter solenoid really good as it was really oily/greasy before re-installing. i'll inspect the wire back to battery then also.

fingers crossed!

Lift3d1

Reaction score
First Name
erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
are all the fusible links found on the truck the same gauge wire?

14 gauge right fusible link wire, right?

Im thinking if it comes to repairing the 2 near the starter i may as well do the one on the firewall that leads to the fuse block as well.

i'm not sure what the plastic nub parts are for on the stock or that napa part???? are they just to identify where the fusible wire begins on the OG stock wire? that plastic would be the original crimp, correct?

I'm thinking of getting fusible wire and then making solid solder connections/heat shrink. the splice would identify where it begins anyhow.

you can get 10' of fusible wire on amazon for $16. amazon --> Sherco-Auto Fusible Link Wire Universal Black 10 ft Spool Coil, USA Made, 10 ft Coil, 14 AWG Gauge

Last edited:

Lift3d1

Reaction score
First Name
erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
well...i changed out 2 fusible links next to the starter and the one on the firewall next to the fuse block. I cleaned the 2 grounds from the negative battery terminal. When i got in the truck now the dash lights came on. not gunna lie, i got excited. turned key and i hear a click down by starter and then everthing just goes black again.

i took the starter in and had it tested and the solenoid/starter tested good. they ran it up a few times.

i tried tracing wires back best i could from the starter to the positive battery terminal and the alternator and they look good. no obvious worn spots or anything.

any suggestions anyone?

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
ooops, duplicate posts....

Last edited:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Did you clean BOTH battery posts?? power for lights does not go through the ignition switch.. Here's a link to a battery post cleaning tool, works for both side posts and top posts.. Clean the cable terminals also.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Here's a SWAG, check the ground from the engine block to the body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising