NEWB with lots of lowering questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am Googled out on trying to figure out answers to my questions, lowering has got to be the most complicated issue for me to understand, so I have to ask.

1979 Chevy C10 Big 10 SWB. EVERYTHING on this truck is original and needs replacing.

I really like the looks of the 3/4 drop and these questions relate to the Belltech 704 kit.

Im fixing to replace every front end component, my plan was to use all ACdelco/NAPA Chassis parts and I want to stay stock. Ive already got the upper and lower control arms bought and last week installed new shocks.

Question 1- Can I simply use the 3" drop spindles with all the new front end parts im going to replace/new shocks I have now?

I measured from the center of my wheels to the bottom of the fender and the rear is 3/4" higher than the front now.

Question 2- Is this a good measurement to go with ,since everything's original other than the new shocks?

Question 3- On the rear, the 704 kit has shackles and hangars, no cutting or notching?

Truck currently has crappy 15" wheels and I really like the look of the Rev classic 107 wheel. They come in 17 and 18".

Question 4- If I do the 3/4 drop would a 17 or 18" wheel be good to go with? I DO NOT want to grind on the lower control arm.

Heres the wheels I like.

http://www.rev-wheels.com/cms_images/wheels/xlarge/rev_107p_18x9-1503-155-00-1000.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I can answer all these questions in more detail this evening on my pc but for now what width and back space are you wanting to get with those wheels?

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can answer all these questions in more detail this evening on my pc but for now what width and back space are you wanting to get with those wheels?

Not sure about that either, I guess im a super newb. :)

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
1. Yes, you can use 3in drop spindles with wheels larger than 15in.

2. Thats an inaccurate measurement because the fender lip is higher in the front than the rear. Use the body line instead.

3. You will have to cut the rivets that hold on the original spring hangers and you will have to notch the bed brace above the shackles but you won't have to notch the frame.

4. I dont know what size are available in those but an 8in wide with 4.5in bs or less should be fine in an 18in wheel.

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I appreciate the help, you posted in another thread that a 5" flip kit would be easier than a 4" hanger kit, 5" would look better but I sure dont want to notch the frame.

I guess its hit and miss on notching with a 5" flip kit?

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
BellTech 704

Sorry for high-jacking this thread. But I also am a 'newb' and will be using the BellTech 704 kit. My questions are:

1. Will the alignment be stock?
2. Will there be any pinion angle issues with this 3/4 drop?
3. How will the ride be? I will be using the BellTech lowered shocks too.
4. I'm also concerned about tire rub. Back spacing info would be cool.

Would another company provide a better kit? Like possibly handle a big brake kit better.

Reading all the lowering data has my brain on fire. I believe that using a 'kit' will benefit the truck lowering process and provide a great ride.

My wheel choice is 20" AR Torque Thrust II.

I am hoping that this kit will allow changes in the future. Like a big brake kit.

I'm sure I have more questions. They will come later. BTW...my truck is an 87 R10.

Thanks

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Your not hi jacking, its funny you posted the AR TT 2, thats what im leaning towards now, only in a 17 or 18.

From all I gathered, there will be no alignment issues and the ride will be better since the truck will be on a lower center of gravity.

I might go to a 5/3.5 drop, back spacing is my question also.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I appreciate the help, you posted in another thread that a 5" flip kit would be easier than a 4" hanger kit, 5" would look better but I sure dont want to notch the frame.

I guess its hit and miss on notching with a 5" flip kit?
You need a minimum of 5.25in at ride height between the bottom of the frame(not the bottom of the bump stop mount) and the top of the leaf spring to do a 5in flip without needing a c-notch. Anything less will I would recommend a c-notch. A 5in flip kit is easier because its basically less work.

Sorry for high-jacking this thread. But I also am a 'newb' and will be using the BellTech 704 kit. My questions are:

1. Will the alignment be stock?
2. Will there be any pinion angle issues with this 3/4 drop?
3. How will the ride be? I will be using the BellTech lowered shocks too.
4. I'm also concerned about tire rub. Back spacing info would be cool.

Would another company provide a better kit? Like possibly handle a big brake kit better.

Reading all the lowering data has my brain on fire. I believe that using a 'kit' will benefit the truck lowering process and provide a great ride.

My wheel choice is 20" AR Torque Thrust II.

I am hoping that this kit will allow changes in the future. Like a big brake kit.

I'm sure I have more questions. They will come later. BTW...my truck is an 87 R10.

Thanks

!. Yes, you would need an alignment but it will be factory specs.

2. Typically no but some trucks with 2 drive shafts sometimes have issues that can be corrected by relocating the carrier bearing.

3. Same as stock but it will handle better due to lower center of gravity. Don't waist your money on drop shocks.

4. 20x8.5/5.25in bs, 245/45/20 front and 20x10/5.25in bs, 295/45/20 rear. Rubbing wont be an issue till you are lower than 5in front and 9in rear.

5. Don't know, never had big brakes.

6. Kits are more expensive than just buying exactly what you need but they are better for the beginner that isn't accustom to working with suspension or familiar with how it really works and how it can be manipulated.

Your not hi jacking, its funny you posted the AR TT 2, thats what im leaning towards now, only in a 17 or 18.

From all I gathered, there will be no alignment issues and the ride will be better since the truck will be on a lower center of gravity.

I might go to a 5/3.5 drop, back spacing is my question also.
Not real up on 17in and 18in wheels but this should be close, 18x8/4 or 4.5in bs front and 18x10/5in bs rear

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
This is my 82 before I tubbed it. 5in flip with no c-notch. You need at least 2in minimum clearance for suspension travel, as you can see I had 3.5in at ride height. My 78 daily driver has a flip kit and no c-notch with about 2.5in clearance for susp travel.

Attachments

• 145.jpg
    145.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 659
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 317

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is my 82 before I tubbed it. 5in flip with no c-notch. You need at least 2in minimum clearance for suspension travel, as you can see I had 3.5in at ride height. My 78 daily driver has a flip kit and no c-notch with about 2.5in clearance for susp travel.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Ive decided to do a 3.5/5 drop like you've recommended in past posts.

Tell me what you think about a 2.5 drop spindle and 1" lower coil springs for the front, all Western Chassis components, and the Western 5 " flip kit for the rear?

Also, is there a way to measure the rear now to make sure I wont have to notch the frame? For example, can I measure from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame now to get a idea of where the axle will be with the 5" flip?

This truck is a Big 10 and it has 6 leaf springs and a overload spring.

Thanks again!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've seen J Knight recommend in the past to do the spindle and then to get the additional inch out to just cut one coil out of the bottom of the stock spring rather than buying new drop springs to achieve the same affect.

Last edited:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Ive decided to do a 3.5/5 drop like you've recommended in past posts.

Tell me what you think about a 2.5 drop spindle and 1" lower coil springs for the front, all Western Chassis components, and the Western 5 " flip kit for the rear?

Also, is there a way to measure the rear now to make sure I wont have to notch the frame? For example, can I measure from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame now to get a idea of where the axle will be with the 5" flip?

This truck is a Big 10 and it has 6 leaf springs and a overload spring.

Thanks again!
The WC 3.5/5in kit is a great choice, its a quality kit, goid for dailydriving too.
You need 5.25in from the top of the leaf spring to the bottom of the frame. To break it down that is 2in suspension travel, 3in for the axle tube, and 1/4in for the flip bracket. I stated this in the past post that this is where you need to measure. More than 5.25in no notch is needed, less than 5.25in I would recommend a notch. The axle tube will sit 3.25in above the top of the leaf spring. If this isnt clear, get the measurement and I can tell you if you need a notch.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I've seen J Knight recommend in the past to do the spindle and then to get the additional inch out to just cut one coil out of the bottom of the stock spring rather than buying new drop springs to achieve the same affect.
Close but not quite accurate, one round cut yields a 2in to 2.25in spring drop, that combined with a 2.5in spindle will be 4.5in to 4.75in drop. You need to cut 3/4 round for a 1in spring drop but it is difficult to get the spring to go back in straight.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Close but not quite accurate, one round cut yields a 2in to 2.25in spring drop, that combined with a 2.5in spindle will be 4.5in to 4.75in drop. You need to cut 3/4 round for a 1in spring drop but it is difficult to get the spring to go back in straight.

Yes....thanks for clearing that up. .....and this is why I don't paraphrase info I've read previously often because it seems I leave out important info :D

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
OK, im good to go... from the top of the spring to the bottom of the frame, is 5 3/4"'s.

Thanks again and sorry to be a P.I.T.A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pnutt79