New to me 86

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TKyger

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
For $300 , and it's running , you can take your time a let the kinks appear on their own, Welcome to the site!
That's generally the plan, the carb is a little sticky and one of the gas tanks has rust holes, but I don't know which one yet, so I also don't know which tank it's pulling from. That and a rotted breakage pinned are my biggest concerns

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TKyger

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
How would I go about figuring out what size fuel tanks it has in which side, as well as had anyone had issues with the fuel tank switching valve?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Rockauto tends to have the measurements and capacities for fuel tanks. Take the measurement of your tanks and compare.

TKyger

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Rockauto tends to have the measurements and capacities for fuel tanks. Take the measurement of your tanks and compare.

I was hoping to order one or both tanks before I get home in March

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Its a guess unless someone knows for a fact but I believe the smaller tank would go in a short bed.

SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT GM11B {#14040786} Lock Ring Kit Included
42-7/8 In. x 14-1/8 In. x 11 In.; 16 Gallons Tank

SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT GM1B {#12382992} Lock Ring Kit Included
56 in. x 14 in. x 11 in.; 20 Gallons Tank

TKyger

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
But having two fuel tanks, would one be bigger than the other?

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I had a couple long beds with the smaller single tank. That being said... When I replaced em I got the larger tanks.

If the truck is a long bed and came to you with mismatched tanks it's conceivable the PO had one, of a pair of 16-gallon tanks, rust out and replaced it with a 20-gallon tank. There's no reason not to... Or they were a cheap ass and replaced a rotted out 20 with a 16...
IIRC the fuel tank frame supports will fit either tank... I don't recall buying new ones to replace serviceable old ones... The senders definitely fit either tank.

As far as the 305 goes. It's a lower power engine with no performance modification potential. If it runs well and doesn't smoke... it's free and it's much better than no engine.

TKyger

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I had a couple long beds with the smaller single tank. That being said... When I replaced em I got the larger tanks.

If the truck is a long bed and came to you with mismatched tanks it's conceivable the PO had one, of a pair of 16-gallon tanks, rust out and replaced it with a 20-gallon tank. There's no reason not to... Or they were a cheap ass and replaced a rotted out 20 with a 16...
IIRC the fuel tank frame supports will fit either tank... I don't recall buying new ones to replace serviceable old ones... The senders definitely fit either tank.

As far as the 305 goes. It's a lower power engine with no performance modification potential. If it runs well and doesn't smoke... it's free and it's much better than no engine.
When I got the short bed I was told one tank has rust holes, but upon looking under the truck they're both pretty rusted and I can't tell which one is supposed to have the hole.

I also have no idea about the tank switching valve: which tank it's pulling from, if it works, is the switch works, or how to test the valves or the sending units.

Any idea of the oil gauge is electric or mechanical?

TKyger

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I would think they are same on each side.
My ex had a 96 Ford that had a 28g and a 16g (or something like that) tank from the factory, I didn't know if Chevy might have done something similar

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

Shortbeds all have 16 gallon tanks, as the 20 gallon tank physically will not fit.

The furd had different sized tanks due to packaging. One tank ahead of the axle and one tank under the rear. They built and installed what would fit under the truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, there's been several threads here about diagnosing inop dual tanks, looking around a bit should provide a lot of info.

TKyger

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Howdy!

Shortbeds all have 16 gallon tanks, as the 20 gallon tank physically will not fit.

The furd had different sized tanks due to packaging. One tank ahead of the axle and one tank under the rear. They built and installed what would fit under the truck.

That is exactly the answer I was looking for! I greatly appreciate it! As to the other threads: my apologies, I've been running like crazy and haven't made time to look yet but now that I know there out there I will definitely look.
Again, thanks! -T

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Welcome!

As far as a "weak" spot when you have the time check out the frame where your power steering bolts to. This area can crack. If it isn't cracked then there are support braces you can bolt in. Or there are braces you can weld in also.

The engine cross member can develop cracks... and the upper rear shock mounts can crack also...

Seem to have crack on the mind this morning. :boxed:

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics