New Starter Clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hey gm sqaurebody,
I put a new starter in my truck a few weeks back and it worked awesome for about 10 days. Then, i went to start my truck one day and the battery was dead. I didnt leave anything on.

Then when i hooked up jumper cables, the starter would just click click click. I have noticed that if i usually attempt to start it with the clicking for around 30 seconds off and on, and then wait a few minutes, it will click then start. But then next time my battery is dead again.

I took the starter to oreillys and they said it tested fine. The starter was the cheapo $30 one because I was a little short on cash at the time. is the starter draining the battery? Do i need to get a new, better quality starter?
Thanks!

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
is it brand spanking new or is it remanned

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I just went through the same problem, remanned starter was bad. Installed a new one and problem solved.

I would try and get the truck to start with the current starter, let the battery charge for like 20mins, then turn the truck off and let it sit over night and come back and test the battery with a tester. It might not be the starter

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I just went through the same problem, remanned starter was bad. Installed a new one and problem solved.

I would try and get the truck to start with the current starter, let the battery charge for like 20mins, then turn the truck off and let it sit over night and come back and test the battery with a tester. It might not be the starter
Okay. I'll probably just go get a better quality starter. I had the battery tested at walmart a month ago so I think its good. But I'll double check.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Okay. I'll probably just go get a better quality starter. I had the battery tested at walmart a month ago so I think its good. But I'll double check.

1.dont get a better quality one. Get a BRAND NEW ONE trust me its more trouble than its worth

2.I wasn't saying your battery is bad what im saying is. your battery is suppose to maintain around 12.2 volts when the truck is off but if there is a direct short or something stupid it will drain your battery to lets say 5volts and when you go to start your truck, the juice from the starter sucks that 5volts right to 0 instantly and you automatically think its the starter. If that makes sense

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Well, just take it back to O'Reilly's and demand a warranty replacement. I'm assuming it's their el-cheapo "Ultima" brand rebuilt starters? I have had good luck with the one in my 96 Yukon and will probably be buying another for my 83 C20 because I think the starter is bad and I'm on a budget lol. I don't know if it's the same but I can get reman Ultima from O'Reilly with Lifetime Warranty for $50 or brand new ACDelco for $90 on Amazon. I think saving $40 is worth it, even though I'm sure the Ultima one will need to be replaced every few years it's not a big deal. Just gotta keep the receipt. If I have too many go out on me and it's starting to annoy me (pun intended) and I have some spare money to blow I'll get a brand new one. lol

Last edited:

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
did you clean your battery terminals? highdesertranger

Latest posts